OneNote on iOS

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

OneNote is probably my most used software application. Its availability on iOS was a huge factor in me purchasing my iPad Pro 9.7.

I primarily use it for what I call ”preparatory research”. On my PC I scan and OCR a bunch of Japanese books, almost every single book has vertical text. Once that is done I use the Print to OneNote driver and every page gets its own page in a section devoted to that book. Example: I’ll have a notebook called Foreign Relations in Edo Period, in that I’ll have a section on Russian ships visiting Japan during this period with a book dedicated to the subject, perhaps containing some 300 pages.

On a page will be some Russian captain’s name. I highlight his name, add transliteration and then add information on that captain from other sources to the page or set links to other places in my notebooks where he might appear. In order to make this as smooth as possible I scan the pages at 600 DPI so that I can enlarge some difficult to read or archaic characters not in use anymore. This all works smoothly on PC and Android. Not so much on iOS.

IPads use screen rendering known as Display PostScript and since the scan is done to PDF I have assumed that the page will be able to display at its equivalent to 600 DPI. However, OneNote on iOS seem to treat the graphic rendering of the page as a bitmap. It gets blurry as I try to enlarge. On Windows and Android it first gets blurry but then it adjusts to the page and sharpens so it is easy to read. But on the iPad it remains blurry.

So my questions is; should I scan to some other format? Or is this an inherent problem in OneNote for iOS? Is it a known problem? (I haven’t really been able to find similar complaints). Advice and tips gratefully accepted between the hours of 4 AM and 11.30 PM.

2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I guess all you can do is bring the problem to the notice of OneNote iOS developer team. I do not think there's a way around it.

3. fivetoedsloth

fivetoedsloth Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you have the Optimize Storage option on? From what I have just read, it keeps only low res placeholders on your device and then downloads hi res only on request. How large are your full notebooks? At 300 pages with 600ppi scans, I suspect your notebooks might be very huge. Maybe the iPad is automatically defaulting to the Optimize Storage option just so it can load.

Out of curiosity, must you use the iPad if it works properly in android and PC? Is the iPad essential to your workflow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Kumabjorn

I have to look into that option.
    Yes, the notebooks are big, but I've taken care to divide them. Before it was one project, now there are five different notebooks (but still a hell of a lot of pages).

The problem is that Word Mobile on Android doesn't allow me to edit documents. That requires an Office 365 subscription (I have a whole rant on that in a separate thread). That will obviously kill my workflow. Besides, my iPad is the best portable solution since the screen is bright enough to allow outdoor work. I actually bought an Onyx Boox Max Carta thinking I'd use that as an outdoor monitor hooked up to my Galaxy Note 10.1, but just around that time Microsoft removed my editing rights.

-----------
    Soo, I opened OneNote on my iPad and couldn't find anything under Settings (cog wheel) or inte iOS Settings --> OneNote section on optimizing storage.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  5. siddhartth

Windows 10 convertibles other than those by Samsung offer such a poor display and pen performance, people have to go buy an ipad and pencil. I am going through the same problem. i am divided between buying an ipad pro or to buy a wacom cintiq pro 13. Cinti pro13 will bring huge pen performance boost to my Surface pro 4 which after an accident only supports touch but not pen but i will no longer remain mobile. with ipad pro i will become mobile but iosapp for Onenote is compromised and therestno ios version of Drawboard.

i wish samsung galaxy book 10 was available in my country.

6. fivetoedsloth

7. fivetoedsloth

Are you saying you don’t think the pen and display on the surface devices is good? I have been quite pleased with my surface pro 2017. I don’t have an iPad Pro for comparison, but I have no real problems with my pen, and have found onenote to be very easy to write in legibly. Maybe your best bet would be to replace your broken surface with a new one, which would allow you to have hi res PDFs and a nice inking experience in onenote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Kumabjorn

Appreciate the find.
    Unfortunately it isn't a solution since my scanner is connected with my PC. If I'll specifically need to do something on the iPad I'll guess I can use the camera.

Also, on the PC my OneNote desktop version is 2013. So the improvements in 2016 does diddly squat.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  9. siddhartth

My handwriting style uses light sttokes. i do not apply much pressure. Initial Activation Force has been brought down to 9 grams in SP2017 but still it's no where close to traditional pen and paper and Wacom EMR.

And even if Surface pro 2018 somehow manage to get it down to 1gram, like Wacom and even less like Apple Pencil, the poor capture rate will still fail ro catch the details of my fast cursive, like a Samsung Note8 does.

Going back to NTrig in 2018, especially after seeing how good the competition is, is no longer possible for me.

I just wish Samsung lanches a wacom emr windows tablet convertible in my country.