OneNote note taking best practices with a pen

Discussion in 'Software' started by convergent, Jul 7, 2017.

1. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I am new to inking in OneNote. I have a number of OneNote pages that I use as rolling journals for different topics. Examples include weekly one on one meetings with employees and my boss; status of projects; etc. With typing, I am always inputting my latest entries at the top of the page and pushing down the old stuff. This means every OneNote page is showing the most current and relevant information when I go to it.

Is there any way to achieve this backwards logging in OneNote, or will I have to rely on leaving pages scrolled to the bottom and them staying there.

Another scenario I'm struggling with is interviews. I have a typed out template I use for interviews and when using the keyboard I just insert my comments after each question. Now using the pen, I find that I'm writing down the side and then underneath, and my notes then aren't aligned with my questions. Is there a way to easily "spread" my handwriting to insert something new?

djas and WillAdams like this.
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

You can use the Insert Space Tool which will push everything down...Or use Subpages which is what I use...

3. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

OK... never saw the insert white space before. I kind of feel stupid now! I like that you can collapse white space with it too. So I think I'll try using this to drag down some space for a new meeting, and then drag it back after.

I used to use subpages in the past and I found it to be too cumbersome having a separate page for every meeting. These dialogs tend to be an ongoing thing so its good to be able to scroll down to the last time we talked.

One of my struggles is that my handwriting is pretty bad and for some things typed notes are a little better to work with.

Bronsky and jnjroach like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This is how i developed readable handwriting.
    [​IMG]