OneNote needs...

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by dceggert, Apr 6, 2016.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I thought OneNote 2013 was pretty much perfect until....duh duh duh duhhhhhhh

You hand your machine to someone to read what you have in your status report (trying to save paper) like in Star Trek and 'oops, what happened...?' They pushed the "X" when they took your slate and deleted your page.

Is there a way to lock the page? If not, there needs to be!

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Ouch! I can't find a way to make notes 'read only', only ways to password protect sheets.

You may still be able to find your notes though, for example in auto-generated recycle bin folders. I store my notebooks on OneDrive and there are folders like these:
    OneDrive\OneNote\ProjectX\OneNote_RecycleBin

The pages stored there can be moved to your preferred location and opened again in OneNote iirc.

3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you talking about the close button at the top right? If yes, I don't know if there is a native OneNote way of doing it. You could try using NoClose (Ctrl + 1 enables/disables the close button):
    http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/#NoClose

If that doesn't work, or if you want to modify it a bit, we can try a few things with AutoHotkey.

4. dceggert

Actually, selecting, scrolling, and making changes needs to be locked out. I think this is a usage case that has not been even looked at. Up until now sharing of information has been over a projection screen or sending a file to someone else. Handing a computer to someone like a piece of paper is so natural of a way of sharing that it is amazing it has gone unaddressed.

What I am going to do before I try that again is figure out an easy way to disable the touch screen completely. Not everyone knows how to handle a TabletPC when handed one. Any information on the screen is subject to going haywire in this scenario. The unexpected results can be disastrous!

5. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

dceggert likes this.
  6. dceggert

Nailed it. It works in Win 10 as well! This is exactly what is needed. The pen still works but touch is off. Now I can hand it over to someone and then toggle it back on when I get it back! Perfect....thanks a bunch!