OneNote MX

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by jhoff80, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roystreet

roystreet Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I'm using an Acer W500. I use previous versions of one note and I have no problem

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

From what I've seen is that at least OneNote MX with a touch device you can use the OSK but not ink, in the full version there is a setting that allows your finger to ink but there is no setting in the Metro Version.

3. roystreet

roystreet Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for my ignorance...What is "OSK"

Thanks,
    ~roystreet

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Sorry...OSK=Onscreen Keyboard

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There's an updated version of this now. Still no inking with a capacitive stylus, but it's a lot better. You can now share from other apps to it (something I suggested, actually) as well as share from it to other apps. Also, still no way to change pen colors if you do have an active digitizer. So hopefully more updates keep coming.

6. jhoff80

Another update in the store, for what it's worth. If you don't see it, then manually check for updates.

This adds pen colors and thicknesses. It still needs the stroke eraser, and freeform highlighting, but the addition of pen colors is definitely nice.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Much better. I wish I could set something like 'double tap to show keyboard' though, because the KB keeps popping up. I just need to be more careful always putting the pen on the screen first, but a 'double tap' option would allow me to do more carefree note taking.

Edit: the touch/pen logic really need work. If I put my hand down and then the pen, then lift the pen, the touch should be ignored until I lift my hand off the screen. It doesn't do that, as soon as you lift the pen from the screen, you can pan and zoom with your hand. Pretty bad design, unless it's bug on my 500T?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  8. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

You can fix the issue by disabling touch zoom: access the charms bar with a swipe from the left, goto settings, then options, then turn off zoom via the checkbox. MS is aware of this issue since the tip below the zoom box specifically references stylus users.

Regarding the keyboard, I have the same issue on my Vaio Duo which uses nTrig, so its neither acca problem with nTrig nor Wacom, it is a OneNote MX problem. For this reason, I actually OneNote on the desktop.

9. jhoff80

For what it's worth, this was updated last night to give the option for (basic) drawing tools to those without an active digitizer. I'm sure that won't affect too many people on this site, but still. :D

10. jhoff80

FINALLY (at least, I've never noticed it before now, and I looked for a while), the app version has a stroke eraser. Also a kind of neat little tutorial when you bring the pen to the screen that explains what the pen buttons do. It's definitely getting better, but it (for me) has a long way to go before I'd ever use it instead of the desktop version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.