OneNote MUI is growing on me

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

My Toshiba DynaPad (can't recall it's American name) had been more or less in storage since I got my iPad Pro 9.7. I took it out of storage to see if I could revive it. Almost no free space left on the C: drive so I reinstalled windows from scratch and to save space I decided to not install Office. Just OneNote and Word as apps.
    That left some 34 GB of a total of 43 GB (I'm guessing there are a lot of left over garbage there) to work with. I must confess that OneNote as an app was a joy and more featured than iOS and Android versions. Not by a lot, but there were a few items like copying page links and so on. But obviously it has a long way to go before it reaches the desktop software. And that is fine, it is a freebie and works very well for TAKING notes. Especially inking was excellent, although the small vector cursors following the pen is something I can do without.
    I also realized that a 64 GB storage unit simply doesn't cut it. I tried downloading a notebook I've been working on for the last three years. It contains pages from eight different Japanese books and when a third of the notebook was downloaded there was no more space available on the C: drive. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way for OneNote to keep the material on the D: drive's sdCard. I know I can set overdrive to use the card, but OneNote keeps all its cache and sync files in the user/%name%/app/local/microsoft/.... directory that took up some 27 GB (the actual notebook is only around 6 GB) of space.
    I think I can get OneNote to only take down the specific pages I need, when I need them, from the cloud. Obviously this creates a waiting period, but at least I can work on the pages, something I can't do on the iOS version since Apple stops the Wi-Fi from connecting when the screen dims, and there is no power option of keeping it on while connected to power.
    Using the Word and OneNote apps instead of the desktop versions makes the tablet much more useful and if Microsoft had been ready with those as they released Windows 8, the marked would probably look different today.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a setting in Windows where you can uncheck having a hover point. I think it is under devices>pen or something like that.

3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

How does one turn off the pressure sensitivity in the "modern" app (or whatever we're calling it these days)?
    I can turn it off in the desktop app, so I use that, even though I might prefer to use the "modern" app.
    Also, is there a way to bring back the old radial menu that we had in the Windows 8.1 app, either in the 2016 desktop version or in the "modern" app? For example, last night I was trying to highlight and take notes on an article in full screen mode, and it became a real pain having to constantly toggle back and forth, in and out of full screen, every time I needed to change from the highlighter to the pen.
    Thanks for any help!

4. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

As far as I know, there is no way to turn off the pressure in the UWP onenote. In full screen, I have three dots next to the pen which allows me to switch between pencil and highlighter. It's not the radial menu, but if all you need to do is switch between pen and highlighter, it looks like you don't have to exit full screen to do it.

HJK likes this.
  5. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, you're right. I'd quite forgotten about this as I've been using the desktop version lately. The desktop app doesn't look like that. Grrrrr . . . This is frustrating, as the desktop app is better in that a) I can turn off pressure sensitivity (which gobbles up storage and kind of annoys me) and b) you can "snap" full screen mode on the desktop next to another app, which you can't do in the mobile/modern app.
    *sigh*

_____

*edit*
    I guess I just realized a quicker way to toggle and switch pens in desktop that should have been obvious to me--it takes two steps rather than four, and I guess the old radial menu took two and even three steps. So that's a lot better. Even so, I wish there were a one-step method.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I still greatly prefer desktop OneNote 2016, but OneNote for Windows 10 is actually doing a pretty good job of adding features. Audio notes, printing to OneNote, multiple windows, viewing authors, previous page versions, etc. It's actually not terrible anymore.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

check out my latest post...if you're an insider and on the fast ring...prizes to be won today!