OneNote MUI is growing on me

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have so far restricted my usage of OneNote to the Desktop version. The reason being that it is simply more complete. However when I do my research I have OneNote open on the desktop (on my laptop computer which is the equivalent of a desktop computer it's complicated, don't ask) and I do a lot of copy&paste from different sources. I then discovered that having OneNote MUI open to the same page on my SP2 I could begin to enter handwritten notes quite easily and after a minute or so those notes will appear in the ON on my laptop/desktop. On the desktop/laptop I have it on a second monitor with 2560x1440 resolution so I have decent oversight, on the SP2 I can focus on my personal notes.

Why not just type notes on the desktop/laptop I hear you ask indignantly. Well, the simple reason is I want do differentiate between source material and my own reactions to it. Typing for sources and handwritenn for personal reactions makes it so very obvious. And this is where the MUI version is actually a tad superior with its radial menu. I can easily switch between different pens (blue is martial, green is economics and red is social) a process that is more tedious on the OneNote 2013 version (Desktop).

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Adding a shortcut on the Wacom radial menu to bring up the pen selector tool in Desktop OneNote helps with the tedium (in fact I think it makes it less tedious than the MUI radial menu).

3. Kumabjorn

You're right but on the SP3 there is no Vacom Wheel , so from that perspective the MUI isn't looking too shabby.

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

4. Mesosphere

Oh, I thought you were talking about your SP2...

Yea, that's one of the big things that's causing me to resist my urge to buy the SP3 I don't need (but would love to play with). I found the writing quality of the SP3 to be more than satisfactory (although the reduced hover distance was noticeably annoying), but I've grown pretty dependent on the Wacom radial menu.

In terms of MUI OneNote, I can't do without the insert/remove space tool, scratch out gesture, being able to disable pressure sensitivity, inserting files into my notes, and ... probably a couple other things I can never remember until I need them and find them missing =P

5. Kumabjorn

I was actually talking about my Sp2 originally. It was using the MUI version there that caught my attention.. It was then even more obvious when doing the same on the SP3.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I find that from a purely handwriting experience the MUI version is much better than desktop....I would still need to use both though as I need the Outlook integration.... hoping it comes to Gemini

7. Kumabjorn

Ohhh, I use both as well, it's just that I only used the Desktop version before. A tad annoying that it keeps separate files, duplicating my notebooks on a single device.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

8. Mesosphere

Yep =/ Particularly on a 64 GB (or worse 32GB) device.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Personally, I need to be able to search my handwriting and sometimes record meetings (audio), which are two things the Metro/Modern/WinRT version just doesn't do. (Well, it does do the former if I sync it to desktop OneNote first, and then sync it back to the original app version, but that's not really good enough).

For me, fullscreen OneNote 2013 with a few pens in the quick access toolbar just works better, even on touch.

10. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Before I got my AVTN8, I never even looked at OneNote. I never have seen a need to use it for my professional work and behind my PC I as easily open a text editor and make a simple text file. I mostly use the MUI version now, and only when I really need to format some things (like with tables and such) will I open the desktop version. I still only really use it on my tablet(s) and phone.