OneNote is now free for everyone!!!

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by jnjroach, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Yes, the Free Version is limited to using OneDrive to store your notebooks not locally stored notebooks...

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, the OneNote team was on Reddit today answering questions. One of the things I asked about was:

The reply to this was:
    Relevant to recent discussion was also:
    You can see all of their responses at overview for MSOneNote

JaneL, Mesosphere and cleft like this.
  3. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Just like the OneNote MX Metro App? What if someone doesn't have internet around?

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

On an 8" tablet that is actually preferable. But if I can't access my notes when I'm off the grid it might become annoying.

5. cdx

cdx Pen Pal - Newbie

AFAIK you need internet to sync, not to view or edit your notebooks

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, OneNote actually keeps two full copies of your notes locally. One local cache and one backup. If you use OneNote MX and desktop OneNote the synced files are separate, so you get even more copies of you notes locally.

7. jnjroach

Of course you need that connection to sync all your notebooks that first time....so make sure you have what you need before you go off the grid :)

8. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like the OneNote MX metro app has a higher version number: 16.0 (Office 2013 has 15.0). The onenote section file stored locally is at C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Office.OneNote_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\AppData\Local\OneNote\16.0\, but that's only a .onecache file and OneNote MX will always try to sync with skydrive, where it stores the actual .one section file. The file format looks different from the desktop onenote 2013 since if you try to open the cache of Metro version in desktop version, it doesn't work.
    Anyway, I just hate the idea of online-only notebook, and if you don't have a microsoft account then you can not use it. That's just evil.

Derson likes this.
  9. jnjroach

Nothing is free, free software either has ads or in the case of MS requires a Microsoft Account. Google and Apple both require accounts as well...the only real alternative is legacy software that you've already paid for or going purely OSS...

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Very excited about trying this out. I've been using one note 2010, and now I will be able to pinch to zoom! And for free! Nothing that I don't like about this option.