OneNote is now free for everyone!!!

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by jnjroach, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, now there is absolutely no excuse at all not to use it. I was starting to go crazy at the number of people who used Word to take notes; even giving them weird looks. :rolleyes: Those using OSX didn't have much of a choice (and their version of Word has tabs), but I felt sorry for them not being able to use such a great piece of software without a VM. Now I can hound them to get OneNote.

That said, all that's keeping me on Windows now though is Word and games; and I probably shouldn't be using the latter that much. There's also the feeling that this super specially, increasingly less exclusive club of OneNote users will come to an end. How am I supposed to feel superior now?! :eek: That's it! OneNote is rubbish. No one use it.

ron2k_1 likes this.
  2. sbl

sbl Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried onenote for mac. It is definitely not as good as windows version. It lacks the ability of opening my old onenote notebook on dropbox. I used ms live to sync onenote before but it was not stable and ruined one of my notes. I prefer the option to sync local onenote notebook with dropbox. Another drawback is that the mac version only keeps text when copy/paste from a browser to onenote.

Another option to use onenote on mac is the "Outline" app. It can sync onenote notebook using dropbox, but unfortunately it is not stable enough yet.

Anyway, although microsoft onenote for mac is not as good as the windows version, it is a good onenote notebook "reader". At least, the smooth scrolling of the mac osx is much better than the windows system. Reading content of onenote on the mac version with smooth scrolling is a pleasure.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The aforementioned "Office Lens" app that scans to OneNote is actually pretty impressive. Sure, it's just taking a picture of a document, pretty much, but it straightens out edges pretty well, and I'm liking its smart-cropping feature a ton. (Basically, if it sees part of my gray desk as part of the document for example, I can crop one of the four corners to the right size for the paper, and then it does a really good job of using that information to figure out the rest of the crop really well).

4. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Argh.. They said everywhere but Linux gets no love again!

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

People still try to use Linux on as a desktop?!?! Just Joking.... runs away

6. cleft

nerds do *laugh hysterically*

Joking aside, linux is actually the main platform in many trade firms and those working in big-data fields. It's favoured for being highly integrated and efficient system management rather than for being "free" though. In a personal user perspective, once you get a hold of it (after enough of pulling hair and scratching head), it files! It's not much different from working in Windows tbh. UI is similar, most frequently used applications have equivalent alternatives or are cross-platform, even hotkeys can be tailored to your preferences, plus ubuntu runs so fluid on my x201t that I barely boot in Windows nowadays. Of course not every piece of software is available (yeah I'm talking about OneNote). It might also not lucrative to our fellow artists here but hey, I happen to know that this guy David REVOY | CGSociety migrated to the geekdom long ago :D

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Oh...I've done my time in Linux. I used to have a specialty in Linux and Windows Integration in the Datacenter.

JaneL likes this.
  8. cleft

Oh I my bad, I must have offered to teach fish to swim. I'm still going through the hype of a newly converted :D

9. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Linux is free only if your time has no value......

10. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

btw i don't know if you guys noticed it, it's not as free as some might think. I use mostly not over OneDrive but on my own Network. This is not supported on this version. You can use it for a month and after that you need to pay for it. It seems to be one of the premium features!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.