Onenote Inking switching to text entry incorrectly!???

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by beeswaxx, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beeswaxx

beeswaxx Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I just purchased an HP Elitebook 2760P to use for taking notes in Onenote 2010 in class. I used to have an Asus T101MT, and decided that I liked taking notes with a stylus in Onenote, so upgraded to one with an active digitizer.

I have been having a problem in Onenote with the automatic switching between pen, scroll, select, and text entry...

At random times (I can not reproduce it, it just happens), I will be inking, and part way through the ink stroke the cursor switches to the text entry cursor, and the stroke disappears! Sometimes it is so bad that I feel like I am writing all my notes three times before they stay.

I have searched high and low, and cannot find anyone with a similar problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have downloaded Office 2010SP1. I am extremely frustrated, especially since I cannot reproduce it. Anyone know how Onenote determines when it should switch to text entry?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. beeswaxx

Oh, and this also occurs sometimes while erasing ink as well.

3. wombii

wombii Pen Pal - Newbie

Happened to me last night. Problem started about an hour into a study session. Eventually started happening every few seconds. Disappeared for a little while after a restart, but soon came back. Also on a 2760p.

4. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

I share your pain, on my CL900.

I thought it was just because n-trig is "crappy", but the 2760P looks to have a wacom digitizer.

Mine most commonly swtiches between Pen and Eraser - I don't get much of the others.

5. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

Odd, I'm having a similar issue on my 2740p but only on the Windows 8 developer preview. On Windows 7 it works very well. I had to roll back to Windows 7 just because of the OneNote issue.

My problem is similar, but it doesn't switch to text entry mode. The last bit of ink disappears. It stays in pen mode, but the problem happens if I touch the screen with my finger or flip the pen to use the eraser or press the button on the pen.
    I can keep writing, but doing the above things makes anything I write disappear. I have to close OneNote and reopen it or fidget with the menus for a bit and the issue goes away. Very weird. I'll just use 7 until the 8 beta or until I figure out why it was doing that.

6. beeswaxx

Yes, it comes and goes for me. It is absolutely frustrating for a while, then perfect for a while.

I thought I had figured it out a couple of days ago...I changed the pen setting to be only drawings (no handwriting), and then wrote a class of notes with no issue. However, the next day, it was doing the same thing again.

It seems to do it for me regardless of screen orientation, screen position, palm resting on screen, and speed of writing. And it is always the text entry tool.

I have noticed that if I ink something in Onenote, and then lift my hand off the screen, removing the pen, the pen cursor sits there for a few moments, and then changes to the text entry cursor. Well, it seems to do this 90% of the time. Does this happen to anyone else?

It also does it when I turn off "automatically switch between inking, selecting, panning, etc."...it will switch to the text entry mid-stroke.

I am at a complete loss. It is almost like the tablet is doing something that Onenote is interpreting as text entry.

When it works, it is great! When it does this, I want to throw it out the window.

7. beeswaxx

Ok, so I think I may be able to recreate the problem now...
    I had been holding the tablet in my lap in class and taking notes (left hand holding it, wrapped around and grasping the hinge area in portrait orientation, right hand inking). However, for the past week, I have been putting the tablet on the flat desk and inking, and have not had an issue.
    I just tried holding it in my lap, and occasionally had the issue. Putting it on the flat desk stops the issue.

I noticed it because I was in class one day, and was holding it at quite an angle, and it was really acting up. In frustration, I sat up straight, having the tablet level on my lap, and it seemed to start working well. I did this a few times, and then clued in that it seemed to work when it was horizontal.

After almost a whole week of using it on the desk and not having a problem...I was convinced.

This doesn't make ANY sense to me as to why it would be doing this, but for now, I am just happy that I can ink away and not have strokes disappear!

Anyone have any ideas???? I was thinking it maybe had something to do with the accelerometer...but I don't know what????:confused:

8. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

do you have a dual digitizer, one with a capacitive touchscreen? You could try to turn it off and see if the failure still happens. (That's the most likely reason for your issues)

Does it also happen in alternative ink programs, like Microsoft Journal, or does it only happen in OneNote.

Do you have a finger print sensor? Maybe you touch the sensor accidentally and it causes those issues.

9. beeswaxx

It does have a capacitive touchscreen, but the issue still occurs even when only the pen is touching the screen.
    I haven't been able to get it to happen in other programs yet.
    There is a fingerprint sensor, but it is not being touched at all, it is completely out of the way.

Since I have been using it on a flat surface, it has worked 100%.

10. dohertp

dohertp Pen Pal - Newbie

i have noticed that the text conversion entry box will convert your handwrittting to text quite well but why is it if you later highlight your inking, after a days worth of notes, and select the convert to text icon in one note it dosent work, it just gets every thing wrong and leaves half of it un converterted, these gliches in one note are starting to really annoy me, can anybody explain why my computer does this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.