Onenote embedding files then editing and saving

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by pkstoll, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pkstoll

pkstoll Pen Pal - Newbie

hello,
    If I embed a .pdf file into Onenote then access the file from within Onenote (by double clicking the icon) and make some changes, where do I save the file so that the changes will show up the next time I double click the icon in Onenote? In the .....AppData\local\temp\Onenote directory? I see the file in there and in the cache file. Will that work or mess something up?

I've researched Onenote embedded files and see where some people really like embedding the files and keeping everything in Onenote but I'm confused about saving changes. I understand that Onenote created a copy of the source file and if changes are made to the source file, they will not be reflected in the Onenote file version but for the folks who are keeping the file only in Onenote, how do they do it?

Thanks a lot,
    PK Stoll

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I've never tried the embedded file option. Does it need to be saved? Everything else in ON just auto saves - maybe that does too?

3. pkstoll

pkstoll Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I think it needs to be saved even though you are correct, everything else in Onenote automatically saves. I tried opening the file from within onenote and making a change (it's a .pdf and I'm using Bluebeam's Revu) but I can't get out of the doc in Revu unless I save. If I don't save the changes and close it then open the file from within Onenote again, the changes are not there. So, I think it needs to be saved but I just don't know where unless as I said previously, I'm supposed to save it to that temp directory.

pk

4. pkstoll

pkstoll Pen Pal - Newbie

hi,
    I did some more searching and everyone said this should work so I ran some more tests and I've isolated the problem as Bluebeam's Revu.

If I embed an excel or word doc from my local hard drive or a shared drive and I make changes to the files and "save" then it works perfectly (the changes show up when I open the files from within Onenote). But, Revu doesn't. If I make a change and press "save" (as opposed to save as) it still brings up the dialog box asking to save where, etc.

Anyone else noticed this issue?

thanks for reading,
    pk

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, you'll have to save it to the Temp folder
    'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\OneNote\1,2,3...\file.pdf'

If I edit a txt file, then notepad knows that this file was located in the temp folder. It saves the file to the temp folder and after it's done, it adds the attribute to the file, that it got changed and closed. After that OneNote updates the file in its own document.

Strangely PDF Revu does not know the location of this file. And thus it does not change those attributes, and thus OneNote always thinks the file is still used, even after you've closed PDF Revu again. I don't know if this is a problem of PDF Revu or of OneNote, but you could write a mail to both support teams.
    In the meantime, save it manually to the temp folder, this will also work, but it's a bit cumbersome.

6. pkstoll

pkstoll Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Frank for the post. I will take your advice and save the file to the temp directory. You are right that it's cumbersome.

Regarding Onenote thinking the file is still in use......Yea, I've also noticed that. When I edit a file in Revu, close it then later close Onenote I'll get a Onenote warning message about various pdf files still opened and the changes will be lost but there is no way to save the files because Revu is closed. As you mentioned it might be Onenote or Revu but Onenote is definetly confused because it thinks the files are still open. I'll try to notify the appropriate people.

thanks again,
    pk