Onenote and maths

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by chinesefireball121, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just wondering how much onenote actually recognises in terms of mathematical symbols (meaning what can it turn from handwriting into computer text) - does it recognise the really common mathematical symbols (+, = ...), other quite common ones (common greek alphabet (alpha, beta, theta, pi)..., things like set union/intersection) and does it go as far as the really obscure one (such as that greek squigly one that i had to try and draw in my exam this morning which refers to groups and equivalent classes).

If not, can you teach one note characters? (sort of like the auto-corect feature in word).

And I know word 2007 has quite an excellent formula maker - can one note do similar with handwriten text

2. 1somniac

1somniac Pen Pal - Newbie

no it can't

3. chinesefireball121

as in no it can't do anything i just mentioned (including things like +), or you just can't teach new characters or you just can't do auto-correct type things?

4. SweTrance

SweTrance Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there!

Don't know if you're running Vista, but maybe this is the function you're looking for. Maybe not integrated in OneNote, but it's something
    Qoute from Microsofts page:

"Equation Writer
    Easily add mathematical expressions to your papers. Handwrite a math equation, and then convert it into a neatly typewritten image to paste into a report or a presentation."

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D3-1D67-4B02-BFD5-4ADD1879D3DC&displaylang=en

5. 1somniac

1somniac Pen Pal - Newbie

The only thing you can do is to past equation from other program such as Word 2007 or Equation writer as mentioned.

Anyway, it will be recognize as a picture in Onenote so you won't be able to "correct" it.

6. chinesefireball121

ok thanks for the extra details.

I'm suprised that there isn't an option for teaching new symbols - now I'm tempted to work out how to code a plugin that would do it (I have to do a major software project in the next few years, so that might be a good one).

7. Dolvich

Dolvich Scribbler - Standard Member

8. chinesefireball121

Thanks for the links :)

Actually the main reason why I'm looking into this is so my father (a mathematician), can write up his own papers, without typing (at which he is painfully slow at), rather then wait for the secretaries at work to do it. For that I would use the Mathjournal, but I doubt either of us wants to spend $100 for it. Having a quick glance at the microsoft maths - I would reccomend google and some freeware instead.

9. Dolvich

Dolvich Scribbler - Standard Member

Understandable. The cool thing about Mathjournal for what your dad needs to di is you can output to Latex. $100 is a bit expensive though. Heard mixed things about Microsoft math but I'll probably give it a try as they have a free trial.

10. dans595

dans595 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a trial for Mathjournal? After trying Microsoft Equation Writer, I'm very skeptical about the equation recognizing softwares.