OneNote and Evernote pros and cons

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by ElectronicFur, Mar 4, 2015.

1. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

My SP3 should be arriving today :)

So I thought I would revisit note taking with a tablet. I have tried this in the past with Evernote, but didn't get on with it. And I ended up going back to pen and paper. With a good notebook, Midori Traveler, and capless Pilot fountain pen that has been enjoyable. But I'm thinking I should try digital again.

If choosing now, which would you recommend out of OneNote and Evernote? It's been a long time since I used either, so it would be good to hear the pros and cons. I take it those are the only 2 choices? The devices I would use are my soon to arrive SP3, my Galaxy Note 3, and Windows desktop PC with Intuos 2 tablet.

I would usually just try both to figure out which I prefer, but I'm currently time and sleep deprived due to small baby. So would like to just to pick one and stick with it, hence my questions.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

OneNote. I've used both and if you're into paper and pen, then OneNote handles that better than Evernote. Before Microsoft released OneNote for mobile devices Evernote was the winner since it was available over platforms. I haven't updated Evernote in a while so perhaps they have improved their inking on Windows, but it was fairly rudimentary before.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

ElectronicFur likes this.
  3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I only used EverNote on my HTC, but that was a HTC only version of EverNote (inking worked perfectly naturally, as HTC changed it so it worked with the N-trig pen). I tried it once on a desktop PC and didn't like it at all. Now I only use OneNote, on my PC, on my browser, on my windows phone, on my Windows Tablet and on my Samsung tablet.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I've been using OneNote since 2003 (I have inked notebooks going back 12 years all searchable). If you treat OneNote like a digital notebook (actually multiple notebooks) you can greatly organize you life. I use it for personal and business, I take notes, embed documents and slide decks into my notes, send websites to OneNote for archive purposes and research.

Also, as a Windows Phone user, Office Lens has become the best extension for OneNote.

As a technical marketing SME, I'm having more and more customers requesting that we create Customer Playbooks, Facilitator's Guides and other deliverables in OneNote.

5. ElectronicFur

Thanks, I'm going to go with OneNote based on your feedback.

6. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I've spent a lot of time on this over the last year or so. I have flirted with OneNote for many years and have a considerable collection of docs in Evernote. Finally by making a commitment to learn the idiosyncrasies of OneNote in the last two months it is almost the perfect note taking app for me, especially with the android, iOS apps and use on a tablet pc.

In general I would say OneNote offers more flexibility in structure. You can have each thought or note be a discreet page but if that is your only style then Evernote may be better (especially if its text only). Where OneNote really shines is that some pages can become more like giant desktops or walls with a huge collection of text blocks, web page cut and paste blocks, pictures and screen captures. The text blocks do not need to be in order, they can exist on any part of the infinite page (a scrolling mouse can really help navigating on large pages as does multitouch gestures on a tablet). These blocks can be shuffled and reorganized to suit an order that is meaningful for the task. Blocks can be moved from page to page, pages can be moved from notebook to notebook. If you lose track of something just use the test search bar and type in some keywords - its quite good.

Out of the box OneNote seems moderately complex but feels as though features are missing. It turns out that there are many features that are buried and one of the best ways to explore them is to try them by "add/remove" features from the "customize quick access bar" until you have a command menu that suits your style. There are also Macro Add-ons that can add special features. A source to get started with those is OneTastic http://omeratay.com/onetastic/. But you might put off Macros for the first couple of weeks.

I suggest you watch some introductory videos on Youtube and look around at other various online documentation just to make sure you understand the operating principles. Like I said, OneNote has some idiosyncrasies but if you get to know them its quite natural and delightful. It will take a couple of weeks for you to get up the learning curve and find your own customizations. A giant screen helps on the desktop as does having the "Hand" tool and "select Objects" tool on the quick access bar.

I will still use Evernote to store PDFs and clip important web documents. Evernote seems more like a document management tool than a notetaking app by comparison to OneNote. Its quite good at document storage and retrieval. OneNote is not good at annotating pdfs BTW. For that try Drawboard PDF.

7. ElectronicFur

Does anyone know how to get OneNote to save notes to your own server?

In the past I had it writing to my own server using WebDav and ftp, but I can't find how to do that in the latest versions.