OneNote 365 is coming to an end...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, May 10, 2018.

1. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I found that OneNote 2016 (2019?) has updated to the same look and feel as the rest of O2019/O365 refresh. But the innards are the same. Still numerous bugs from five years ago that MS refuses to fix :(

2. Telgar

Telgar Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a table somewhere listing the features/differences between the different versions of OneNote ?
    I guess I have Office 2013 on my desktop at home, Office 365 at Work, Android version on my phone, "I am not sure which version" on my Galaxy Book. Switching from version to version (which is the purpose of ON) is very confusing... (as if mouse/pen/finger usage was not enough)

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'd like to bump @Telgar 's post. This would be both interesting and instructive. I Googled it and didn't find anything published that is responsive. Anyone care to take a first cut - someone who knows One Note better than I - and we can all fill-in added information. I know this is really obnoxious for me to do, but two people I nominate, both of whom has demonstrated excellent analytical and presentation skills are:

@ORTOX and @dstrauss (excellent recent analysis of screen real estate won you this nomination :))

EDIT: I'll kick it off with Android:

Virtually no features and tons of latency; get another platform!

ORTOX likes this.
  4. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

Ouch, you're giving me a project here Jeff :)

I am a bit OneNote obsessive. I have experience with 2010, 2013, 2016, OneNote UWP, OneNote web app, and OneNote for Android. My gosh, there are too many OneNote versions!

I could probably boil down a quick list, don't have time at the moment. And there are so many weird inconsistencies between them. My favorite is still 2016, but that's coming from someone who doesn't mind all of his notes living in OneDrive. OneNote for Android is awful (other than for looking at notes and making quick edits with the keyboard). Web app is okay (for the same purpose as the Android app). The OneNote UWP is actually pretty good. But there are just some things that irk me about it. Default pen colors don't match the default pen colors of OneNote 2016 (what is that about Microsoft!). And if I'm not mistaken, audio recordings don't mesh with handwritten notes in the UWP. I could be wrong about that though.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@lovelaptops and @ORTOX: thanks for the invite, but I'll have to pass for now - because Jeff stole my line - OneNote Android sucks; but on a scale - OneNote 2016, OneNote iOS, and then OneNote UWP

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes it may suck but I probably use it more than any other OneNote version.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  7. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure why all the hate for Android? I can pretty well take the same handwritten notes on my Note 5 I can on my Helix. I just have to have the letter-sized templates set up beforehand, but then that's the same as the 365 version...

Most recently, I've found that they managed to make printing in 2016 worse somehow. My handwritten notes aren't printing as displayed- it's like the history goofed and moved specific bits around. It's a nightmare because my only sure-fire way to get my notes printed previously was to open them in 2016. :(

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, the W10 version is updated now to include Tag Search (but only if you're in the Office Insider preview accessible from the settings menu).

It's pretty basic in comparison to the desktop version - it only seems to currently let you search for To Do, In Attendance, and Important tags, and no option to only display unchecked tags, but it is a step in the right direction.

9. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

ORTOX likes this.
  10. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member