OneNote 365 is coming to an end...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, May 10, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That explanation applies equally to Windows and the rest of Office as well...

nnthemperor and lovelaptops like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Gentlemen, I think you have hit the nail on the head. (Ouch!)

3. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

OneNote is still in the Office suite for business users. It also is included with Windows 10. The only thing that is diverged is that there is not an OneNote 2019 specifically.

I do wish they would incorporate more of the Office 2016 features into OneNote, but I retain hope that will happen over time.

4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, it is why the latest Windows update was deleting people's data.

I can't be bothered going back to reading the original Microsoft post (I know, I know, I'm a lazy bugger), but I don't recall it mentioning that the x86 version still be around in Office 365. If they did, then I'm not sure they communicated it well from what I remember of the comments.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Marty likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Thanks Jeff - it is a good summary. What struck me was his very first bullet point about "Why OneNote for Windows 10" - cross-platform consistency - OneNote online, the Mac client, etc. it's all the same interface and "in general it is going to act the same." I take that to mean the experience on an iPad Pro is going to be nearly the same as a Windows tablet (sans file system support). Very interesting...

7. lovelaptops

Pardon my apparent negativity but that (blog post) couldn't have been more depressing. It feels like One Note was sold to a 10-person company with very limited resources - not continuously owned by a nearly trillion dollar software monolith - and that the desktop product has been held together with scotch tape and glue (hey - just like Surface hardware!) and the UWP app will be lucky to get a feature tweak or two per year. The author's last line was telling, if depressing (paraphrasing): it's time to give up on the desktop product and use the dumbed-down, privacy-free version or *find a new note-taking app!*:vbeek:

dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  8. dstrauss

I think the author's own words are even more compelling than a paraphrase:

"Like it or not (I know, many users including myself don’t) – It’s time to switch over to the app or look for some alternative ways to manage your digital information."

Especially in light of the fact that UWP is being deprecated by Microsoft in general, why hold out OneNote as your UWP shining star (more like a supernova that is slowly fading)...again, less reason to stick with Windows tablets...

dellaster and lovelaptops like this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Weird how they talk so much about consistency across platforms and yet OneNote for Android is a featureless forgotten stepchild (or at least when used on a phone-sized screen).

Like they went through the effort of making a version of the ribbon for phones on Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. And instead of doing something along those lines for OneNote on the phone, OneNote instead hides nearly every feature when on a phone. I just don't understand the strategy at all.

Oh well. I'll have to stick to my method of OneNote 2016 on PC, and only quick notetaking on my Note8.

Bronsky and lovelaptops like this.
  10. lovelaptops

There was a significant fact I hadn't been aware of kinda buried in the blog post @jnjroach linked - this time I'll quote directly:

"Also, it seems to me that the OneNote team in Redmond would have to get the development of OneNote for Android, which is (to my knowledge) done by an external team in southeast Asia, in line with the other client’s UIs."

I don't know how common it is for the largest software firms on the planet to delegate the development and maintenance of one (or more?) components of its major productivity applications on the largest (by # of users) platform it runs on to "an external team." I do know a couple of things - mix of good news and bad:

1) the Android version of ON is by far the worst of any of the cross-platform versions, close to useless, and it's not just due to small phone screens; it is equally useless on my 12.3" Pixelbook. Biggest single limitation for me that requires I have a Windows mobile device available most of the time - even when I travel - whereas otherwise I would rarely need anything but the Pixelbook with me for 95% of everything I do.

2) From what I've read, MS plans to increasingly treat Android as it's mobile "companion platform," providing hope that they might even bring One Note for Android in house, so at least the user experience will be no worse than it soon will be on Windows platforms (even now you have to have an Office 365 sub. to get the crappy Android version, making Android users no less paying customers than Windows users. How ironic that, as it deprecates the product for the Windows user community it may actually bring the features way, way up for Android users, simply to achieve near parity for the platform! Given how much share they're losing to Google on chromebook because Docs and Sheet are free and pretty much as good as the crappy Office apps, that you have to pay for to get decent features, it would just seem like the right business decision. (Imagine that: a good business move by MS that would "accidentally" improve user experience for consumers!)

Note: while the AES pen of Pixelbook is ok, there are at least 2 chrome OS products that have EMR pens - en silo! (Samsung & Acer). Also, the One Note app in Android has intolerably high pen latency so that too would have to be addressed; it's not a chrome OS issue, plenty of pen apps run beautifully.

Bottom line: for One Note to be an even decent, cross-platform app it will need to be treated and run as something we business types call a "product line" and will need to be managed - the core product and each unique platform implementation - by people we like to call "product managers" and while those people, and their teams, can certainly be located in southeast Asia, they can't be "external" to the MS Office product organization. That might cost a little more money and require a little more management acumen than Microsoft feels like investing - if most recent evidence suggests.

What a pack of losers!