OneNote 365 is coming to an end...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, May 10, 2018.

1. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Android OneNote because I have a CB Pro that I use for note taking in classroom settings. I'm not big into OneNote 2016 on my desktop, but that compared to Android is like a Jaguar compared to a Yugo. I use Android OneNote because I want everything available on my desktop and Note8 phone; however, Android OneNote is semi-functional at best. I don't use inking in it though. In fact I've never checked to see if inking in the app is searchable - I'm not sure that it is.

2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

till 2 yrs back inkinI was not searchable, things might have changed now.

it does ocr though.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So supposedly, all ink is now indexed in the cloud automatically, no matter what device you're using it on. However, I've still had better / more consistent results with indexing if I let the same notebook sync to my PC running OneNote 2016 let that index, and then let OneNote 2016 sync that indexing back to the cloud.

I do agree that Android OneNote is barely functional though. Like mentioned above, it has the absolute bare minimum functionality and nothing more. So I use it to take my notes, and then do anything else on my PC.

siddhartth and djas like this.
  4. djas

djas Graffiti User

Agree. Similar workflow for me.

5. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

I dont know how many times IV been screwed by this software, onenote always seems to delete all my notes iv taken in my classes when I need them for the finals. I Stopped taking notes with it cause it was so horrible!

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Do you use the OneDrive save option or only locally?
    Also, you do know that there is a complete mirrored notebook inside the OWNER/APP/ROAMING/MICROSOFT/ONENOTE directory? You'll need to turn on site hidden directories though.

Also, you can export each section in a notebook to an external USB stick if you want to her on the safe side.

7. jbaks

Im not a onenote expert, I just use it and that was that. It was my favorite program untill last semester when half of my notes got deleted during finals.

8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

that must be a horrible experience. the only reason I even consider buying a windows machine is Onenote. I am not even an artist but i am so close to ordering a Wacom cintiq 13 pro just to take notes with my Surface pro4 which now no longer recognises pen input.
    If you cannot trust a note taking software to keep ur notes safe, then that defeats the purpose. May be i should wait for Apple to release ipadpro18. Notes Aapp by apple is making significant improvements.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  9. jbaks

I even went so far as to try countless other freehand note taking software and applications. I must have tried half a dozen, and they all were so horrible. I'm good with networks, software's and databases as well as windows directories and what works with what but this was beyond frustrating. To add to the nightmare was how horrible all the other note taking applications were. Taking notes for a few days and then realizing this software is crap as well and trying the next one was nastiness I don't want deal with. Life has enough crap to deal with, when I use my PC's I just want it to work without having to hassle some more on my computer after Iv hassles with 20 people on a 12 hour shift.

Any way, onenote was my favorite software Iv used for many years but I haven't used it now since it went wonky on me. Not only did it go crap on me on my win 10 PC, but android keeps having problems with it as well. I do still use it everyday I guess on my phone to buy groceries on my samsung Note phone, I cant go grocery shopping without a plan of attack and free handing grocery lists is the only proper way to do it. So I do still use it on my phone but I havent touched it on windows 10 since it screwed me a few semesters ago.

What specifically was happening to me, and me not wanting to take a whole day to figure it out and why it did it in the first place was aggravating enough for me to stop using it was the login for it to connect online started doing something silly. Some how my accounts got tangled up and one day I logged into my account, this is in the onenote application, and poof, their went notes from the last 2 months. I still had like maybee 60% of my notes, but it was weired cause I did everything I could to get them back. Tried using the online methods where your suppose to be able to, i mean just guides online you know, guides on how to recover lost notes in onenote. none of that crap worked. It was a mess lol!!!:confused: Their was to many different onenote apps and software. Their was the desktop version, then the online version, the android version and then all my different accounts I was using from google and yahoo. It was to much for little onenote to handle, it turned into a soup of bits of notes everywhere! but nothing was in order, it was a, a, onenote nightmare from hell!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Scary!!!!! Now you've got me rethinking and for safety going back to OneNote 2016 on a single device only...