OneNote 365 is coming to an end...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, May 10, 2018.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As someone who used the SNote extensively on my Galaxy note 8 (tablet), I need to disagree. Nothing beats the endless page feature in OneNote. What is it in OneNote that makes you feel it's inadequate for your needs?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Following things that made Samsung's SNote on Note3 and Note3 neo (lollipop) better than Android Onenote App-
    • Handwriting recognition
    • Handwriting to text conversion
    • Support for Hindi Language
    • Action Memo (Action Memo was fused with SNote with lollipop update)
    • Mathematics support
    and all that Onenote Android has at the time was Inking and typing.

Later Samsung replaced SNote with a frustrating app called Samsung Note, without backwards compatibility, and that's when i decided to never trust software from a primarily hardware company.

Note8 doesn't come with SNote but with Samsung Notes instead.

but one can sideload it.

By the way Evernote too has vertically unlimited field, but handwriting and typing are un seperate fields. But even it has itsiown advantages over Android Onenote App-
    • handwriting recognition

3. nnthemperor

But isn't that what the whole idea of a companion app is about? If the mobile version had all those features that would be left for the desktop version? I've been using the OneNote Android app to compliment the desktop version, and it's been nothing short of marvelous.

djas and dstrauss like this.
  4. siddhartth

Yeah that can work if you are looking for 2 or three device solution.
    But for the people who wanted their Samsung note phablet, to be their primary computer, SNote was an amazingly capable app.

Stil, you are right. It's acceptable, if microsoft keeps its android app light and fast, in favour of Windows app, because they anyways consider a traditional Desktop set up to be the apical device in a customer's life.

If Microsoft succeeds in improving NTrig on par with Apple pencil, brings in that magical folding tablet/Phablet range called Andromeda, and port Onenote desktop to App version with most of it intact. It will be very close to that imagined one device ecosystem we all dream of.
    But i can not help but point out that, there are many "if"s there. May be Andromeda project will be quashed, may be Onenote app will never be what Onenote 2016 is, may be NTrig will always suck. In that scenario, it would have been nice if we had an alternative scalable note taking system to Onenote, and i would have preferred it to be from Google.

What amazes me is the absence of a first party pen oriented information organising system from Google.
    Failure of a company like Google to produce anything comparable to SNote for Android platform is nearly nonsensical from ecosystem and user experience perspective, especially, given the fact that, only platform it has is android and it's customer base is younger generations in developing countries like India. When a Pure Android, apologists argue that, even though pure Android experience is bland, but it's clean. I have something to add to that, pure Android experience without usable twists which likes of Samsung bring to the consumer, is not only bland but also pretty useless. which makes Pixel phones most boring and most overpriced phones i know.

There was a time, when I predicted a pixel line of phones, and the differentiating feature from Nexus Legacy, i imagined would be a Wacom Penabled oled displays from Samsung with a Note taking software from Google, that was atleast comparable to SNote app on Android, if not comparable to paid version of Onenote 2016 on Windows. Google's progress towards handwriting recognition and OCR capability further raised my hopes. I was naive then, i thought Google was a young company with a difference and with smarts that looks out for the little guy. Little did i know, it's just a big data analytics firm which just trying to collect and abuse personal information of users. That's the difference between Apple and Google, one is guided by user experience and what a customer might need, other is guided by data and how to make a quick buck off of it. In any case, if Google Keep was a little more comprehensive and pen oriented, many people might have convinced themselves to buy that corei7 toting nonsensical machine called Pixelbook with pen.

Present tech productivity scene is a nightmare, Apple has the OS we want and Samsung has the hardware we crave, Google has the web services we rely on, Microsoft has the software we prefer. There's no real ecosystem at present.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

FYI, S Note doesn't need to be side loaded, at least not this version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.snote

I downloaded it on my Note 8 but I don't use it because it has no toggling checkmark lists like Samsung Notes has, which is what I use the most day-to-day (shopping list, campground site occupancy list).

S Note does seem to do a nice job converting handwriting to text and that's why I haven't deleted it. Just in case I have a creativity burst and want to make novel notes that I can transfer to Scrivener. ;)

siddhartth likes this.
  6. siddhartth

i would not trust Samsung's software for anything meant for permanent storage. They have a bad record of backwards compatibility. Moreover, there are signs that they are going to gut their phone bussiness and cut their losses. So, I wouldn't trust the Note Phablet line to last that very long. Microsoft Onenote and Apple Notes are the only softwares i could hope to last. May be physical notebooks and a Xerox machine was always better. May be we should have stopped at bicycles and .txt.

Now, we discuss, critique and bet on the few visible technology players there are and none of them give us what we really want. Now, i wonder what was wrong with Sports teams.

I am not even in the first world but my obsession with digital handwriting has brought me here, a place which deals with this peculiar and uniquely first world problem. I am here discussing about digital diary solutions, while my favourite coastal getaways are slowly drowning in rising sea levels. When did tv become a lesser means of distraction.

or Alternatively, we could write to Microsoft to convince them to keep it alive. That's an hail Mary, but it could work.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Photographers who relied on Aperture would beg to differ as to Apple not suddenly dumping crucial software. :rolleyes:

But I only use the Samsung Notes software for transient stuff. Permanent notes are on OneNote.

siddhartth likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

One device solution? That's more romanticist in an age of reasoning.
    I'd say enjoy what you have now, the search for the ever elusive perfect solution only lives you in an endless cycle of 'ifs.'

Oh, and you should give the OneNote uwp a try, you might be surprised how feature-rich it's become.

djas likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if...I'm full of ifs

Kumabjorn and nnthemperor like this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yes! I agree. As for one device solution: Soon™

ON UWP's great in tablet mode though I still have to rely on ON 2016 for the task/meetings/emails cache hooks for Outlook.

Arg!