OneNote 365 is coming to an end...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, May 10, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But is that not true of a lot of topics here? Flickergate, pen behavior after 1709, and so on? A tempest in a teapot for the vast majority of people. But I don't think they'd appreciate it much if I posted that perspective in their thread. Nor would be helpful since it's obvious that all of these are minority problems. We already understand that.

Tams and Bronsky like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe you're coming from the old OneNote 2007-2013 model. What happens now in OneNote 2016 (if you create a new notebook with cloud sync capabilities) the local file is not accessible or visible. It is merely a background database that syncs with the actual notebook file in your OneDrive "documents" folder online.

And to further obfuscate things, the notebook file is hidden from OneDrive desktop (you can't view it with Windows Explorer). You need to use the OneDrive browser client to actually see and move the notebook file (but you still can't download it individually).

If you want desktop file visibility, you could use OneNote 2016 to resave the cloud-synced notebook as a new local notebook—but then you lose access to the cloud-sync capability. In other words, you are forced to choose between local file control or cloud-sync, but you can't have them both at the same time.

Quite a devilishly scheme to deprecate OneNote 2016 and shuttle all users to UWP, no?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Fair enough. Perhaps it was a mistake for me to post in this thread, given my perspective. Best of luck with your concern guys. :) no hard feelings.

dellaster likes this.
  4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung makes better hardware than Microsoft can hope to. And SNote, once the main note taking app in Samsung note devices, was almost as good as Onenote. I began using it and was delighted to see it's evolution from Note3 to Note 4 and then Note5 happened and it was gone. The Newer app Samsung Notes was not backwards compatible, so my notes were reduced to image files. And that was the reason i shifted to a much inferior Android Onenote app brcaube i knew it was vertically linked to the Notetaking behemoth the Onenote desktop version was. It ran on any device that ran windows and didn't tie me into any ecosystem. Now, that trust is gone.

If it comes to sticking to an ecosystem i will chose Apple over Microsoft. Both companies like to impose their decisions on their users, atleast when comes to inking Apple does it better.
    If Apple Notes app gets feature parity with OneNote UWP app. There's no reason for me to stick to it.

Also there are wonderful apps like Nebo by MyScript labs, which is available on both, Apple store and Microsoft store.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I tried Nebo once and then kinda forgot about it. Do you mean Android version or is there Nebo for Windows? Regardless, have you used Nebo enough to comment as to its capabilities vs One Note. Many thanks; just looking to know if it's worth the time to learn it or if it has a fatal flaw I might disciver later.

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

There is Nebo for Windows...It is a nice program, but I am so firmly entrenched in OneNote.
    I'll let someone who has more usage experience with it comment on it further.

7. siddhartth

To tell you the truth, it's not exactly a note taking software, but more of a handwriting based word processor. It does have notebooks and pages, it understands text as well as maths. But, each notebook is limited by a preselected language, you won't be able to do English and Russian on the same page. There are no handwriting typing synced audio video, there's no handwriting playback. ItsImore of a Digital Notepad not a note taking software. And, by note taking software, i mean something that helps your brain to recollect the information, based on hints stored in the form of handwritten/typed text, diagramme, audio or photographs etc. It's more of an authoring tool than a note taking tool.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Got it. Thanks. Too bad. One Note had been the perfect, fully portable information organization tool - far more than simply "note-taking." But MS is killing off many of its former virtues and I'm afraid there's not enough profit in what we used to call applications software - I guess "app" is technically short for that. But at $0 - $20 I'm not sure there's enough incentive to make the investments in development and support and I imagine MS and Google will keep their products dumbed down behind walled gardens and a stand-alone replacement for One Note just isn't happening nor desirable.

So I ask anew: what is your plan to deal with a post-One-Note-Desktop world?

9. siddhartth

If you can look past the lack of good inking implementation, Evernote is good too. Atleast, we can trust them to not dumb down the limited feature set they have. Their note taking software bussines is their only business, which is not the case with Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Yahoo and Google. I m a Doctor, my note taking style requires lots of colours, i need typing handwriting diagrammes and pictures all on the same canvas, So, even nerfed UWP Onenote and Existing Feature set of Apple notes will be enough fr me. But those students who have to still go to classes, and those professionals who have to go to meetings, they require time synced handwriting with their recordings, for them, UWP Onenote is the only option.

Tams, ORTOX and lovelaptops like this.
  10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I wouldn't be surprised if most users would be perfectly fine with the current UWP app. The desktop OneNote app is already a niche product. Now niches can be big, but you can only divide them up so far, and within those niches you need to keep your users happy.

I suspect Microsoft will just deprecate desktop OneNote and just let the niche who do use it go (likely without even considering or even noticing them). That's their choice, but it's of no good to those of us who may now end up with no product serving all our needs.

Kumabjorn likes this.