OneNote 365 is coming to an end...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, May 10, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But is that not true of a lot of topics here? Flickergate, pen behavior after 1709, and so on? A tempest in a teapot for the vast majority of people. But I don't think they'd appreciate it much if I posted that perspective in their thread. Nor would be helpful since it's obvious that all of these are minority problems. We already understand that.

Tams and Bronsky like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe you're coming from the old OneNote 2007-2013 model. What happens now in OneNote 2016 (if you create a new notebook with cloud sync capabilities) the local file is not accessible or visible. It is merely a background database that syncs with the actual notebook file in your OneDrive "documents" folder online.

And to further obfuscate things, the notebook file is hidden from OneDrive desktop (you can't view it with Windows Explorer). You need to use the OneDrive browser client to actually see and move the notebook file (but you still can't download it individually).

If you want desktop file visibility, you could use OneNote 2016 to resave the cloud-synced notebook as a new local notebook—but then you lose access to the cloud-sync capability. In other words, you are forced to choose between local file control or cloud-sync, but you can't have them both at the same time.

Quite a devilishly scheme to deprecate OneNote 2016 and shuttle all users to UWP, no?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Fair enough. Perhaps it was a mistake for me to post in this thread, given my perspective. Best of luck with your concern guys. :) no hard feelings.

dellaster likes this.