OneNote 365 is coming to an end...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, May 10, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just wait, once they deprecate OneNote 2016, they'll start with the others - my guess is a UWP Access connector, then PowerPoint, followed by Word, and Excel going last...

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked by 2020 Office UWP being the "flagship" version, with "Office Pro" being special order only...

Tams, Telstar1948, Druid and 2 others like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Available only through Enterprise channels, and works only with Win10 Enterprise Edition. Yeah, something like that is surely coming.

Tams and lovelaptops like this.
  3. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

win32 and UWP define apis and programming environment, it doesn't define how the GUI for the app. If the win32 is going away, I don't see why there can't be two versions of UWP, one is for tablets/touch and the other is the more powerful desktop version.

Agree. And don't forget the real reason I bought into OneNote/Surface. OneNote/Windows has very deep OS/app integration (e.g. screen shots, print to ON, Outlook/ON integration). I use ON/iOS as a consumption device. There is no way to do as much research and collection of information as is possible on the OneNote for Windows.

4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't really appreciate this assumption. I often don't have reliable internet access, even in urban areas. This can be due to no signal (ahem, buildings), network saturation, not being in a country I regularly visit, or just turning off data in order to preserve battery. I have multiple devices I want my files on, the majority of which do not have cellular connectivity. Networks the world over also do not make it easy or affordable to run several devices on them either.

That's not even touching the privacy concerns, which for me are just a bit of peace of mind.

dellaster likes this.
  5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

But my understanding from this conversation is that you should have a local file on your computer that you can access whether you have an internet connection or not. This is what I've understood so far. Is this not true? If so, that would be an issue. I too often work in spaces without an internet connection, and having offline files is important to me.

My point was that I think the vast majority of people don't care that there would be an additional copy syncing in the background, in the cloud, automatically. I'm also saying that that doesn't bother me at all. That's the gist of it.

6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It isn't always true that the offline file is available in marginal cellular situations. As I related in an above post, recently I had to restart the OneNote app several times because it was coming out with just a blank screen and stuck there. I am guessing that it was trying to sync first before bringing up my data, but because I had a poor CDMA 1x cell connection it couldn't complete the sync. I'm also guessing that if I turned off cellular entirely it wouldn't have that problem—it would be smart enough not to try to keep syncing. It could be a different reason. Regardless that's unacceptable.

This has happened many times, not just this once a couple days ago. It's unpredictable.

Not reliable enough for me so I've been moving my stuff over to Samsung Notes, which always has my information offline (but it does not sync across devices to my Surface Book, so it's not a complete replacement for me yet.)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  7. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Just tried to install OneNote 2016 on my new Surface (first thing first). I activated the preinstalled O365, but guess what, I couldn't find OneNote 2016 anywhere. Apparently, according to Microsoft, OneNote 2016 is now a separate download from the Windows Store and it is not bundled with O365 any more (at least not the Store version or the preinstalled version on the Surface). Just sad.

And the install from the Store, unsurprisingly, fails (I am already used to these kind of jokes). I was finally able to get OneNote 2016 when I reinstall O365 from a fresh installer.

8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

When they made OneNote free, they removed it from Office 365. It's not considered part of the Office suite anymore.

I can't remember if they are keeping local storage or not (and I can't be asked going back and checking). Still, from a general privacy standpoint, people may still be concerned about stuff being synced.

Anyway, I thought it would be clear by now that while it may be fine with you, it clearly isn't with a fair few people.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't tried any of the newer Surfaces, but I suspect the error might be due to the preinstalled version of Office being a Click2Run installer, and OneNote 2016 in the Store being a APPX packaged version. My guess you would have more success if you uninstalled the C2R version and installed Office 2016 through the Store first... but that is just a guess.

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Yes, it’s very clear lots of folks here don’t like it. I just think the use cases of people here is a minority. I felt I would reply with an alternative point of view... a point of view probably held by the vast majority of users out there.

jnjroach likes this.