OneNote 2013: Workaround for selecting text with pen?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marty, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hi all, so a pet peeve of mine with the latest OneNote is that you cannot select text using the stylus, with the 'Automatically switch between inking, selecting, typing, panning' option enabled (the default mode).

The issue discussed here, on the Microsoft forums.

After watching the thread for almost a year, the 'solution' provided by Microsoft is still just to disable the 'Automatically switch...' setting. But that creates other usability issues,which I'll summarize below:

'Automatically switch between inking, selecting, typing, panning' ON:
    • Unable to select text with pen (manually choosing Type Mode won't work, because program will automatically switch to Inking Mode when stylus in range)
    • Cannot use pen cursor to hover and interact with Object bounding boxes (the containers for Text, Pictures, Tables in OneNote)

'Automatically switch between inking, selecting, typing, panning' OFF:
    • Eraser tip registers as a Pen tip in Inking mode; must manually enter Eraser Mode to erase
    • Finger panning no longer enabled while Inking; must manually switch to Type or Panning Mode to scroll with finger

The first scenario essentially makes it so you have to stab imprecisely to select text or resize object containers with your finger.

The second scenario takes away the convenience of being able to erase or finger pan while inking.

Both seriously disrupt the natural interaction with the OneNote canvas.

I 'm sure UI designers at Microsoft being aware of this issue, especially since older versions of OneNote allowed Text/Object interaction with the stylus, while having Eraser and Touch panning enabled while Inking. But bewilderingly, Microsoft has chosen to ignore this despite their renewed focus on tablet UX.

So my question to the ingenious forum members here is, has anyone figured out some clever trick to workaround this annoying UI restriction?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. alband

alband Pen Pal - Newbie

I have 2010, so don't know if it'll help but... you can press and hold to get the lasso select in OneNote 2010. If that still works you should be able to use it to select things with auto ON.

3. Marty

Yes, you're right. I've removed that from the list of problems. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. crp852

crp852 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can lasso-select handwritten text in OneNote 2013. In the Win 8 Control Panel, under "Pen and Touch", I've selected the option that Press and hold on my stylus is the same as a right-click.

In OneNote 2013, I just checked and 'Automatically switch between inking, selecting, typing, panning' is selected.

When I want to move handwritten text, I press & hold the stylus button, and lasso-select the text to move. After I lift the stylus, the selected text is boxed and has a 4-direction arrow in the middle. Using the stylus, I move the boxed text where I want it & then tap elsewhere in the document to de-select the boxed text.

HTH,
    crp

5. Marty

The main issue is that you cannot lasso select text within a text block. The lasso select will only work if you select the entire text block. To sub-select text you must use your finger to click within the textblock and use the circles to (imprecisely) adjust the subselection.

The previous behavior allowed the pen cursor to switch to the type tool on hover, which was far easier to precisely select text within a textblock.

Hope that clarifies the issue. Thanks.

6. White Witch

White Witch Pen Pal - Newbie

This is definitely a pet peeve of mine as well... I rely heavily one OneNote for my work and since I've recently upgraded to a new pc (Lenovo Helix) with an Office 365 subscription, I can't roll back to OneNote 2010, but I would if I could for this reason alone. I hope that updates to OneNote 2013 will soon resolve this problem.

7. San_Culottes

San_Culottes Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm confused. You legally own one note 2010 but you can't install it and use the product code on your new computer? I know some people are running Office 2007 and 2013 together. You have to install 2007, than 2013, and then runt he repair feature in 2007 from my understanding.

8. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.