OneNote 2010 non responsive after extended use.

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Gary_R, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary_R

Gary_R Pen Pal - Newbie

ASUS B121
    Windows 7 64bit
    Office 2010 32bit

I had been having problems with OneNote for a while, the program would gray out and go unresponsive for about 5 to 10 seconds, but wouldn't crash except in very rare cases. The longer the program was on the worse it would get until it was unresponsive for a longer period of time then it was operational.

I would have to completely shut the tablet down and then restart (restarting the program did not help). There were even more problems with interoperability between OneNote and Outlook, and when I linked a page it corrupted it and took me a couple hours to figure out how to get the content that I needed from it then remove it from the note book entirely.

I disabled services, indexing, everything I could think of, I even reduced resource usage of MS OneNote to see if it would help and it made it worse.

The solution and my original mistake:

I had Enabled write caching on the SSD drive in the Device manager. and Turned off Windows write-cache buffer flushing. (Checked both boxes) as a way to supposedly improve performance.

As it turns out, OneNote and Outlook's autosaves are incompatible with write caching. As soon as I unchecked both boxes and restarted the computer, all of the program non-responsiveness issues went away.

I can now keep OneNote open for several days in a row without instability problems.