OneNote 2007: Inking Gets Messed Up?

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Neverwinter, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipp0

Hipp0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Luckily I backup my notes very often, so I went back to OneNote 2007 and restored my backup. But this ink jumping is like playing with a grenade, you never know when it jumps and destroys your notes, even in OneNote 2007. I'm not talking about 2010, which is like old dynamite to a grenade.

Why isn't there anything similar to OneNote? I don't think inking programs need all functionality of onenote. Personally, I just want some sort of built-in note-organization ability, pressure sensitivity, some basic drawing shapes, ability to set paper size, customizable pens(eraser and stuff), basic text-editing functions, picture pasting and basic modification: crop, resize etc, fullscreen mode.
    This is pretty much it, I think I would be able to code something like this myself if I had time. Maybe we should organize like a developers project and make our own inking software? :)
    Or is it very hard to do something like this?

Added: I guess it would be hard to make handwriting as good as in OneNote, I just tried an application, where my pen was working, but handwriting is not as smooth as in onenote, and it made like gaps in letters.. Maybe onenote uses some sort of vector handwriting or something..

2. mitja

mitja Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same issue with OneNote 2010. My notes look exactly like Hipp0s. The only way to avoid the problem is to set Pen Mode to "Only Sketches" (under all those pens).

Edit: OneNote 2010 has even more bugs. If i want to ink something, it vanishes after a about 5 seconds.

I recomend NOT to convert your 2007 notebooks into the 2010 format. I will downgrade to OneNote 2007. OneNote 2010 is driving me nuts!

3. Neverwinter

Neverwinter Scribbler - Standard Member

How do you do that?

4. mitja

mitja Pen Pal - Newbie

I only have the german version and i assume "only sketches" is the wrong translation. I think the pen mode is called "create drawings only" in English and it can be found here:
    [​IMG]

I'm not shure but it seems like it deactivates the ink rearranging feature for the text you write with hat pen mode as well as the handwriting recognition for the search feature and title of your site. Therefore your have to select the handwriting mode for your titles.

I converted all notebooks back to the 2007 format, and i strongly recommend to make a good backup before you try to "upgrade" your notebooks into the 2010 format.

5. Neverwinter

Neverwinter Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, thanks for the screenshot. Unfortunately, it looks like the interface is different in the 2007 version. Oh well, I will look into it. Thanks.

6. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know if the ink shifting problem has been resolved in the 2010 release (RTM) version of office?

7. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope, it's still here.

8. jk12

jk12 Pen Pal - Newbie

My issue is a lot of times when i start inking, it gets the text box drawn around it and goes into drawing (?) mode----regardless of my settings. I have everything checked---pen only, don't automatically switch, etc.

2010 sucks for inking. It's absolutely unreliable. I think MS spent their time on the stupid ribbon.

9. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've not had any real issues with inking but I have seen a few issues however Microsoft is working on the issue and they did release a public beta for a fix up request which I have been trying out and so far so good. It did fix the issues that I was having but there was one issue that I discovered and reported back to Microsoft. Fix for ink moving and shifting bug - OneNote Testing - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Looks like they should be announcing something soon and hopefully get most people fixed up.

EDIT: The blog I linked to was just updated a few minutes ago so there should be a patch out for this sooner rather than later, let's hope that it get's things well sorted out.