onenote 2007 and win7-can't use windows search?

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by sidetracked, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidetracked

sidetracked Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I am a new hp tm2 owner. I own and installed onenote 2007 on my new 64 bit win7 and have been dismayed to find it does not behave as it did on my vista computer.
    On vista, when I use the search bar in the start menu, all my documents, including onenote notes will show up...I used this feature all the time.
    When I search in the new computer, with win7, nothing having anything to do with onenote shows up, not notebooks or individual notes.
    I have gone in and made sure that the file types and folders containing onenote are indexed, have re indexed, etc...I have searched the internet and can't find anything that addresses this.
    So, does anyone know of a fix, and does this behavior ( lack of windows search results showing or including onenote files in search results) exist in onenote 2010 on a 64 bit win7 installation?
    TIA !

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think this will resolve the problem. Hope it helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A nice workaround to enhance searching on 64 bit Windows with OneNote
    As those of you who use 64 bit versions of Windows with OneNote know, there is a limitation placed on search results. If you use Windows Desktop Search (any version) to find OneNote files, the results are found as expected. The problem is that they are not clickable from the search window. If you try to open one of the found files, nothing happens.
    A reader from New Zealand (go All Blacks!) sent me an email with a workaround he discovered. It involves modifying the registry, but when done, you will be able to click the results.
    Here are the registry keys to edit (and as always, back up before modifying the registry - or just get ready to use System Restore):
    -----------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5858A72C-C2B4-4DD7-B2BF-B76DB1BD9F6C}]
    @="Microsoft Office OneNote Namespace Extension for Windows Desktop Search"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5858A72C-C2B4-4DD7-B2BF-B76DB1BD9F6C}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\MICROSOFT OFFICE\\Office12\\ONFILTER.DLL"
    "ThreadingModel"="Both"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5858A72C-C2B4-4DD7-B2BF-B76DB1BD9F6C}\ProgID]
    @="OneIndex.ShellFolder.1"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5858A72C-C2B4-4DD7-B2BF-B76DB1BD9F6C}\ShellFolder]
    "Attributes"=dword:20180000
    "WANTSFORPARSING"=""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5858A72C-C2B4-4DD7-B2BF-B76DB1BD9F6C}\VersionIndependentProgID]
    @="OneIndex.ShellFolder"
    ------------------
    I bold faced that second one since it may need to be changed on your computer. Notice the path - if you installed OneNote or Office somewhere other than the default, this will need to change. And make sure that the path uses the "Program Files" folder, NOT "Program Files (x86)."
    To save some time from running using regedit to hand modify these keys, you can copy/paste the information above into notepad, ensure the path is correct, and save as a .REG file (be sure to change the file type dropdown to "All Files.)" Then you can double click that .REG file to add them all at once.
    Now when you perform the desktop search, the results will look visibly different - they will have the OneNote icon - and they will be clickable.
    Enjoy!
    Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,
    John

Published Monday, October 20, 2008 7:47 AM by JohnGuin

3. sidetracked

Thanks Heatlesssun. I had seen this fix elsewhere on the net, and am not sure that it is the direction for me to go, because in my situation, the onenote files don't even show up, it is not just an issue of the links not being clickable, so wondered if I am doing the indexing wrong or missing something....I am not exactly keen on editing the registry when it goes into more than a couple of small edits (straight up trepidation, actually)
    Which is why I had hoped someone could tell me if Onenote 2010 was indexed correctly in Windows 7 64 bit search..
    .don't really want to spring for the upgrade to ON 2010, but there is another issue that would point me to save my pennies.
    On my old Vista notebook (before the tm2), I used a bamboo pen and touch. In onenote 2007, by using the button on the pen, I could scroll around in onenote. I am finding it frustrating on the tm2, the only way to scroll is with the scroll bar, which is small and hard to manage, even with the pen, much less with your finger, and specs say that ON 2010 is touch enabled.
    I am dissapointed that the wacom pen on the tm2 doesn't behave the same way as the bamboo touch pen,as I said, I had gotten so used to scrolling around ON2007 with the pen, but I just really hate to spend that money on the upgrade.

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Office 2010 has a native 64 bit client and the indexing works perfectly on x64 Windows. If you look around there should be some good deals on Office 2010. If you are a student or teacher or have access to an .edu mail account you can get Office 2010 Ultimate for about $80.

5. sidetracked

Thanks! that is good to know, I will starts watching for a sale on office Home-_ Student 2010 and saving up my change

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.