onemix 2 yoga

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by laigood, Sep 19, 2018.

1. LTBonham

LTBonham Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you. It is interesting to hear initial thoughts as well as what it is like after hours working/playing on a device. Especially with this small of a device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the impressions! I would have been surprised if it charged with an 18 W power bank, and I suspect the Apple charger might not have enough voltage (never had one, but I got the impression that at least the small Macbooks start charging at 5V/3A, while I guess the Yoga 2s might need at least 12V, maybe even 15 or 20).

I should hopefully get mine some time next week, got dispatched earlier this week. A bit envious of your price and early delivery - I preordered before the 11th and paid around 580€ ;) must have been a quick flash sale, I guess, as when I checked the price that day it was more expensive. oh well... :)

3. norazi

norazi Pen Pal - Newbie

Apparently, it will only charge at 12v-2.5a (30w) via the bundled charger. None of my other USB-C PD chargers support 12v charging.... I have an Apple 29w charger, an Aukey 27w charger, a Pixel 18w charger, and a 30w USB-C PD 26000mah powerbank. All of which support 5v, 9v, 15v, and 20v; but not 12v.

Marty likes this.
  4. BillyZ

BillyZ Pen Pal - Newbie

I got mine on Wednesday (delivered Monday but I was out of town). I've been using it out and about. So far so good. I'm a fan.

Runs well, great build quality, good screen, surprisingly long battery life if you're not pushing it, not too noisy. The downsides are the stuff people have mentioned before: cramped keyboard including weird placement and key sizing, lack of backlit keys, no webcam, and getting a portable charging solution may be a challenge.

Keyboard: My biggest gripe is the fact that the comma, the period, and the slash (question mark) keys are all half-width, and squished together. the period key is one of the most used keys and the way they wedged it in between the other 2 keys means that it is not a natural press for either the right middle or right ring fingers. you have to scrunch your finger either way. Issue #2 is the half width Caps lock key being so close to the letter A means that too often, it gets hit accidentally and I only notice aFTER HALF A SENTENCE THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS. The last keyboard issue I have is that the backspace key is on the same row as the top row of letters (it's next to the P). Standard keyboards have it a row up. So touch typists may often hit the Delete key instead. Luckily I haven't accidentally hit the Power key (right above the Delete).

Backlit keys would be nice during usage in the dark. But even in the 2 days I've used it, I'm finding that I'm starting to get more familiar with this layout. I was able to type out several emails in the dark last night.

Chargers: like the other users here, I haven't been able to get any wall charger other than the included PD to work. But then again, all my other chargers are not PD (they're USB-A -> USB-C). But it looks like this system won't take even drip charging from a non-PD charger, for instance over night. However, I bought an Omnicharge 20 USB-C portable charger which supports PD and it worked without an issue to charge the One Mix 2 on the fly.

The included charger is a 30W PD supporting 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/2.5A, 15V/2A, 20V/1.5A

Comparable systems: previous to this, I had been travelling with 2 Surface Pros (6th Gen, i7, 16GB, 512GB and 5th Gen i5, 8GB, 256GB). I had also tried for a short while with the 6th Gen Surface Pro and a Surface Go. Whereas the Go was a BIT more single-hand usage friendly for on-the-go instances, it wasn't MUCH more portable. It was usable but noticeably under-powered, and the difference between the Pro's full-sized keyboard and the Go's shrunken keyboard was enough to make the Go a no-go a full-time replacement system. Hence why I got the One Mix 2. I figured that since typing is already compromised, I may as well go full bore on the portability front.

So far so good. This system is truly single hand usable. Its performance is punchier than the Go, and really not even noticeably different than my 5th Gen i5 Pro (I know the chip is the same as the lower spec'ed M3 Pro).

While using this in cold weather, I noticed something delightfully neglected in everybody's reviews so far. It's a much more glove friendly system than the other portable form factor machine, my phone. Every method of input (keyboard, touch nub, pen, touch screen) worked equally well with a glove as with a bare finger.

Last point, for anybody who wants the portability but misses a full screen size experience while on the go, consider looking at the Asus Zenscreen Go. It pairs nicely with the One Mix 2 so that if you want to sit down somewhere, you can still have an experience much more akin to a large screen (possibly better, since you'll have portable multi-display).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Marty likes this.
  5. norazi

norazi Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, I also went from a Surface Go to this due to the underpowered Pentium Gold.

Can you post the USB-C output specs of the Omnicharge? Ie if it specifically states 12v-2.5a or 12v-3a....

6. BillyZ

BillyZ Pen Pal - Newbie

They seem to only list the input voltages, but I think they may also be the output ones as well...

https://www.omnicharge.co/products/omni-20-usb-c-specs/
    USB Type-C
    Port 1 and Port 2: Bidirectional Input/Output charging

Input: USB-PD, 5V – 9V – 12V – 15V – 20V, up to 3A, 45W max The total input of two ports will not exceed 45W

7. norazi

norazi Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok thanks. I was asking because my 27w (12v/2.25a) Aukey charger will not charge the device so wondering if it needs 2.5a specifically or if 3a would work as well; a few of the 45w and 60w chargers list 12v/3a.

I also went ahead and opened up the device to reapply the TIM with MX-4 instead. I don't see myself shipping it back to China for any work so could care less about the warranty. It looks very easy to service with only a few screw giving you access to the rear cover, battery, heatpipe, and cooling fan. Its just my casual observation but it does seem to run cooler/quieter after "upgrading" to the MX-4 TIM. Looking at how the heatpipe is exposed to the rear aluminum cover, I also feel that you could apply a Thermal Pad between the two to further increase cooling performance (using the rear cover as an extended heatsink). I ordered a Thermal Pad from Amazon and will try this mod next week.

IMG_20181130_220513.jpg IMG_20181130_220932.jpg IMG_20181130_221456.jpg

jvloyola and BillyZ like this.
  8. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice!!!

I was trying to find the ssd in your pictures to see how hard it would be to change to a larger one, can you comment on the accessibility if the SSD?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. LTBonham

LTBonham Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone try Display over USB-C? When I asked Geekbuying, they said it should work. I have not seen it anywhere else though.

Thank you for all the info so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. BillyZ

BillyZ Pen Pal - Newbie

It works fine. that's how i connected my Asus ZenScreen Go. USB-C to USB-C for display.

LTBonham likes this.