onemix 2 yoga

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by laigood, Sep 19, 2018.

1. chx1975

chx1975 Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I already have the 2 I am not that interested in the 3... what I would be interested is next year a 10nm CPU version of this. It could potentially seriously rock.

2. BillyZ

BillyZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a link you can share?

3. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is the discord channel: https://discord.gg/drK2FN3

I guess they might also post stuff in their Facebook, but I'm not into that.

4. Androidsys91

Androidsys91 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, on the home website appears the announcement, but one picture and nothing else.
    Do you know anything about the date?
    and where one mix 3 will be available to buy? or the beta version??

Well, I wanted to buy now one mix 2S, but now I have doubts if mix 3 will be better in performance..(faster processor ,16GB RAM...).

I have some questions about one mix 2S.
    Anyone has tried this laptop with programs that require a lot of hardware requirements of memory and processor , like virtualization programs ,Virtual Box, VM Ware, or IDE programs that require a lot of memory like Android Studio or Unity 3D?
    I wanted to use these kind of programs in the laptop but I am not sure about the performance in this tiny laptop...

Regards

5. paperwastage

paperwastage Pen Pal - Newbie

I am actually very happy with ChromeOS on my one mix yoga (1st Gen)

Still ironing some bugs, but ChromeOS scaling and support is superb, have ability to run Android apps as well as regular Linux applications like webstorm/intellij

(Far better than any Android tablet you can find, just wish there's an AMOLED screen)

Don't plan on doing too much - the CPU and battery life limits you quite a lot, but it's definitely a better package than the surface go if you need something more powerful than a iOS/apple tablet

Will likely get the third gen when it comes out. I don't think theres a better core M processor available (so u jump to a core i5 mobile, and run into heat issues

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  6. Androidsys91

Thanks @paperwastage.But ChromeOS is far away to can run the desktop programs that I am talking about.
    Really I need the powerful of a 15 inches laptop in this tiny 7 inches computer if possible.I had the Surface go laptop and it was really horribly slow slow.

And nothing of information about the third edition of One Mix.Nothing about the specs, nothing about the date of the release... in discord channel says that you can apply for the beta version, providing your personal data (name, address,etc),

Anyone Knows how is possible to obtain this beta version?the date and the price!

7. paperwastage

paperwastage Pen Pal - Newbie

not possible... unless u want the device to have a 1 hour battery life and overheats after 5 minutes

You should lower your expectations

8. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

Not necessarily. The device may not need to operate at the full power of a 15" laptop when on battery. It can operate as a 7" computer on battery and operate at full power when docked. This can be achieved with throttling or with two different CPUs onboard for example. Examples include the old HTC Shift UMPC that had both an Intel x86 CPU for Windows Vista and an ARM CPU for Windows Mobile, today's BigLittle architecture for ARM CPUs, etc. In principle, a device could have an x86 Intel Core cpu and a Snapdragon 850/8cx to run Windows 10 on Arm using the same SSD/eMMC storage, display, etc., with one chip favored when docked and the other when on battery.

Heat dissipation can be solved with an idea that hasn't been tried yet. If on battery, the power level would be suitable for a 7"computer (< 15W) and when docked it would go up (to 30W, 45W, 90W or more), then the difference can be transported away using water cooling through a connector port. Plugging in the device into a dock would then involve connecting an electrical port (USB-C) and a fluid flow port (a hose effectively). This is well established in aerospace fueling systems, in scuba diving equipment, and other fluid flow technologies (even caravans and RVs). Water cooling is common in desktop PCs, usually in a closed circuit system, but bringing this idea to laptops and pocketable PCs would involve minimal development, mostly on the connector, supply and cavitation concerns.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  9. Androidsys91

Of course I am talking about run desktop aplications connected to the electricity, not with the battery!!.
    But @paperwastage you have the One Mix 1 yoga with ChromeOS and cpu Intel Atom don't? It is very different of One Mix 2S Yoga with Intel Core M8 and better specs.
    And not always better specs is better performance.
    By instance I have an old 8 inches laptop , an Asus Eeepc with an Intel Atom 1.66 Ghz 32 bits and 2 GB RAM DDR2 of memory, it is of the year 2010 , and it can run Windows 7 and 10 with Virtualization programs like Virtual Box, or IDEs like Android Studio. This is imposible with the laptop Microsoft Surface Go and much better specs, the Intel Pentium Gold is underpowered and cannot run Virtualization programs without slow down completaly in spite of your 8 GB RAM and your support of Hardware Virtualization of CPU Pentium Gold, but even with only two tabs of Chrome Browser playing You Tube Videos the sistem slow down considerably. So it seems that an Intel Atom of 2009 is better that an Intel Pentium Gold of nowadays: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...m-gold-g5400-processor-4m-cache-3-70-ghz.html.
    I had to sell the Surface Go, but I use still my old Asus Eeepc with enought power to run the present applications.

As far as know the Intel Core M3-8100Y of One Mix 2S Yoga supports Hardware Virtualization: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8100y-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html

,and with 8GB DDR3 RAM Memory should be able run programs like Virtual Box or Android Studio, I usually use Linux Xubuntu or Windows 7 that don't need a lot of Memory like Windows 10.
    But I am not sure after my bad experience with Surface Go, if One Mix 2S Yoga will run fine with these applications, that is why I ask if somebody tried these kind of applications in One Mix 2S...

Regards.

10. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

I sort of like the idea, but I suspect you're overly optimistic at this point in time as to how cheap it well be to develop and how big of a market it will have.

The cooling system is just about managing to cope with the 7W power envelope of the current model (and if you push it, you can clearly hear that you're pushing it). I don't think developing a fool proof system for connection of an external cooling circuit is going to be that cheap and it well inevitable introduce new dangers for failure to have a water circuitry in a mobile device like that - and once you have external connectors for plugging it into the external cooling circuit, there's an extra potential for leakage. Plus you'll have the extra bulk and weight of the water to carry even when you're nor using it.

I suppose you're right that it may be possible to develop a reasonably safe Staten, but that's definitely not going to be cheap.
    I don't know how many people would want to but a small device with the potential danger of leaks with a price tag probably well above 2000€, when the demographic interested in reasonably high powered small screens is but that large anyway. I think at that point most people would just opt for two devices.

For me personally the 2s is more than sufficient, I'd just wish it would be possible to run it with passive cooling when not stressing it. Charging circuitry probably at fault because that seems to be getting too got when docked.