onemix 2 yoga

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by laigood, Sep 19, 2018.

1. paperwastage

paperwastage Pen Pal - Newbie

What's the rating on the original charger?

This hub says 12v/2.08A max
    https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Multiport-Ethernet-Delivery-Charging/dp/B0789MC3T2

I have a power bank that supports 12V/1.2A :(

M3-7y30 says it supports 3 displays.

How do external monitors over typeC work? I assume it's still drive off the GPU (not cpu driven), should be able to find a USB c hub with 2 external outputs? Or use the existing minihdmi on device plus one via type c?

https://www.aten.com/global/en/products/usb-&-thunderbolt/docking-station/uh3234/
    This may work (12v/3a), two ports for displays, but it only supports BC1.2 charging?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  2. chx1975

chx1975 Pen Pal - Newbie

@all to understand USB C, read my writeup at https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/wiki/newdocks

Of note: the 12V power requirement has zilch to do with monitor support. Given @franzander report about how a USB C monitor doesn't work with the One Mix Yoga 2S and also because the laptop has a HDMI port, my educated guess is the USB C implementation simply doesn't support DisplayPort Alternate Mode. I will verify once I am at home which is January 20, I have ... enough ... gadgets to verify. This would suck, of course. But it's entirely within the realm of possibilities. On the other half of the cable, the Dasung notEreader which IMO is a match made in heaven, also uses USB C to charge but also doesn't support DP Alt Mode -- it has HDMI input, however... The Maru & Masa Kickstarter to the rescue: the 45W USB C supports 12V, hopefully the 18W USB C will be enough for the notEreader. The Masa (battery) even includes a little kickstand to hold the notEreader. My primary use case is to use the Yoga 2S as an emergency laptop -- I can't be without laptop as I am sort of on call but our accidents are rare, typically several months pass between two. So, if I want to go anywhere I need to haul my (otherwise awesome) 14" laptop with me. The Yoga 2S will take over. And since I have an eReader always (I like to read on the bus), the notEreader will always be with me. In case of emergency, hook it up to the emergency laptop, purdy tiny workstation with a 7" and a 8" screen. When flying or going on a longer bus ride (I do Vancouver-Seattle a few times a year), have the Masa in the carry on to add a few extra hours of runtime. You can't even open a 14" laptop on those dinky planes. But a 7"?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  3. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool, will be great if you can also check whether you can get USB-C working. Is suspect though that it should work in principle for two reasons:
    1) I vaguely remember reading about someone else using the device with a USB-C monitor (possibly in the discord channel).
    2) I have been able (with a little trouble involving plugging various plugs in and or) to get HDMI out from a USB-C hub, which I think will have to make use of the display alternate mode.

I suspect that my USB-C monitor doesn't provide 12V, and since to my knowledge most of the more advanced USB-C capabilities are negotiated based in PD, the display connection probably cannot be established. If you find a USB-C monitor that provides the necessary voltage I suspect it should work. Problem is that most monitor specs seem to be completely unspecific about their USB-C PD levels.

@chx1975 I have a similar plan of using an extended eink display occasionally when traveling. I decided against the notereader eventually because I already got a Likebook Mars and Onyx Boox Note earlier this year, so I hope getting them to work as displays via VNC.

4. franzander

For some reason I can't edit my last post, just wanted to add that, of course, the notEreader is likely to be a but simpler to set up, not needing to worry about a VNC server and USB network etc.

5. chx1975

chx1975 Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh! Yes, of course, that means there is a DP signal, all USB C to HDMI converters use a DP to HDMI converter, noone uses HDMI alternate mode. And no, 12V still has nothing to do with the problematic monitor. Yes, you are right the Alternate Modes are negotiated using Power Delivery packets -- but since you got HDMI from USB C working, it must work. Negotiating the power voltage and amperage is an entirely different part of the process even if it uses the same protocol.

There are almost any number of possibilities why your USB C monitor didn't work -- did you use the right cable, for example? This I can't test , I only have monitors (many) and USB C to DisplayPort converters (a few, including one with an MST hub built in). Getting the right cable is complicated :/ Monoprice (not Amazon!) is your friend.

6. franzander

Well it works with the USB-C hub, but if the monitor can't negotiate with the yoga directly via USB-C because of the mismatching power levels, that should prevent the display alternate mode from working, shouldn't it?
    The cable I used was the one that came with the monitor.

7. franzander

Oh, and the symptoms with the monitor are exactly the same as with the chargers that I have which won't work: the OMY2s keeps switching between indicating that it's charging and discharging every few seconds.

8. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Dumb question: I’ve seen several times a discord channel referenced

I’ve never heard of that can you please explain?

Thanks and merry Christmas

Vinny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

jvloyola likes this.
  10. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member