onemix 2 yoga

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by laigood, Sep 19, 2018.

1. norazi

norazi Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah ~$900 is really pushing it for a niche device with iffy support. Especially if there is no solution to replacing the battery at EoL.

You can also easily add a 256-512gb micro SD for additional stirage. The new UHS-II cards with A2 specs are near SSD performance

2. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Yup my 400 Gb card was only $79 usd during the cuber monday deals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. paperwastage

paperwastage Pen Pal - Newbie

For the one mix 2/2s yoga, does sleep work properly (with minimal power usage) on Windows or Linux? Does fan work on Linux?

Have the one mix yoga, battery drains a lot during sleep (known issue with that cpu, affects other devices too)

Have other complaints from the first generation
    1) cpu slow (somewhat resolved on 2/2s)
    2) microusb charging (though the typeC charging problems on 2/2s isn't good)
    3) sound doesn't work on Linux
    4) emmc a little slow

Have some tricks for Linux on the screen rotation/scaling
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/general/one-mix-yoga-alternative-os-t3815725

4. paperwastage

Does this even support uhs-ii?

5. BillyZ

BillyZ Pen Pal - Newbie

6. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

I have both the first gen and the 2S and regarding the battery drain during sleep on the original which drove me nuts I can also confirm it’s been fixed in the 2S.

The difference in cPU performance between both is abysmal, night and day, if you decide to upgrade you won’t be disappointed

The usb-c charging is hit and miss nothing to argue here... my solution i got the omnicharge 60watt power bank referenced here which does pass through charging and use it as an external batt and also charger not the best solution but workable, lets see how it works in next moth trip to Brasil

Regarding sound on linux can’t help here as I only run windows

eMMC vs SSD again big difference here, upgrading to the 2S fixes your complaint

Hope that helps

Merry Christmas

Vinny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. paperwastage

I do want something that can be trickle charger via 5V. Relying on 12V/2.5A will be a pain

2/2s came out just 4-6 months after the 1. Wondering if I should wait for 3rd gen (which they say they're working on). Not sure if there's anything missing from 2/2s that I want from 3

Maybe an actual m.2 2280 nvme slot? Or maybe support for typeC hub with passthru charging (someone else in this thread said it didn't work for him?)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  8. BillyZ

BillyZ Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm definitely interested in a better keyboard layout. according to the reviews, the GPD Pocket 2's layout is superior to the One Mix 2/2S

9. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm with you that it would be nice to have a swappable drive, however having had a look at the inside I'm not too optimistic that that would be feasible space-wise. Maybe a 2242 could be squeezed in (even about that I'm not too sure in terms of thickness and surface space on the mainboard), but I would definitely not hold my breath for a 2280 slot.

Passthrough charging should work in principle, but that might be a matter of the specific usb-c hub you're using and the picky 12V requirement of the OMY2(s). I have two hubs that work relatively fine. I'm saying relatively, as I've had a little trouble connecting an HDMI monitor to the hub. It worked eventually, but took a couple of times connecting and disconnecting the hub and the HDMI cable in various orders until it finally worked.
    Real bummer for me is the crippled USB-C power interface, which restricts the possibility of using USB-C as simultaneous power connector and display out (and USB data connector) with a USB-C capable monitor. As mentioned earlier, this does not work with my USB-C monitor (thinkvision p24h), probably because the Yoga uses a deprecated charging protocol (PD 1.0 instead of 2.0 or 3.0).

Overall, I can only support the statements by people above though. Battery life is very adequate I feel, particularly on Linux (haven't used windows much). Rotation works with a little tuning, performance is great, fan can get noisy, but after my cooling mod (and windows updates) it has become much more silent.
    I'm also getting used to the keyboard layout. Of course it's not super fast, but much better than I chips have feared.
    Only real let down on Linux side is the lack of support for the pen.

When I get time, I might add a quick post on my cooling mod these days.

10. chx1975

chx1975 Pen Pal - Newbie

The Maru & Masa devices from Kickstarter both support 12V @ 3A, the lower wattage PD ports are not enough (just 18W) and don't support 12V anyways. The Energear https://www.newegg.com/EG-ENERGEAR-USB-Chargers/BrandSubCat/ID-201981-3700 https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/17919648011 chargers also support 12V (and they are USB IF certified), the 27W is 12V 2.25A, I wonder whether that's enough. Energear also has a pretty much unique 10000 mAh battery which supports 45W (I've never seen another 10000 mAh battery going up to 45W -- all other high wattage batteries are 20000 mAh or more which means they are heavier as well) which also supports 12V/3A. When I saw that battery , I asked Energear about availability and I was told " It is power delivery bundle kit contains power bank, 46W wall charger and C to C cable at US$99.90/ea".

lovelaptops and BillyZ like this.