OneDrive in Win10 loses ability to see unsynced files..

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by spinedoc77, Apr 8, 2015.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't understand that stance, with selective sync aren't you losing that information from your local drive anyway? Yes I know search will be available eventually for cloud files, but then that doesn't affect having local files stripped of that metadata. Personally I agree with you and would rather keep the ability to search local placeholders, but it doesn't seem like that's an option and I'd rather be able to view my cloud files than not view them at all and take this huge step backwards.

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, with selective sync, you will get exact copies of files (including all their metadata) in the local folders that you have elected to sync with OneDrive. So those files and their metadata will be available to the Windows Search service running locally.

Of course, all the other OneDrive folders that you have elected NOT to sync will appear empty, and Windows Search won't have a clue as to their contents. So you'll be forced to go online to search OneDrive directly. It's terrible, it's broken, but it's what we are going to get from Microsoft until at least Windows 10.1

3. spinedoc77

Wait. I still dont understand. With selective sync you won't even see the file at all defeating the purpose of needing metadata on placeholders for unsynced files. Having placeholders without metadata means you can at least be aware that file exists. Otherwise you won't even know unless to you go online. You're forced to g0 online to search either way, but at least you know the particular file exists.

4. gcoupe

We're saying the same thing. With selective sync you will only see files (and their metadata; used by Windows Search service) in the folders that you have elected to sync. All the other folders will appear empty locally, because there are no smart file placeholders (of any kind, with or without metadata) any more in Windows 10.

5. spinedoc77

Yes but I was agreeing with someone else that if file size is an issue then strip the metadata out and simply provide a placeholder. If that's saying the same thing you did then my apologies for not reading closely enough.

6. gcoupe

Ah, OK, my fault for not understanding you.

A placeholder without metadata would probably be, what, 5 KB in size, as opposed to 50 KB. In the context of unlimited storage, that's irrelevant, which means that Microsoft has to come up with some other method of being able to provide at least a subset of placeholders locally (two-tier storage?). And if they are going to provide placeholders, then, from my perspective, metadata is essential. Being able to search locally solely on filename is not enough - particularly for photos.

7. spinedoc77

Well I wouldn't say a 90% decrease is irrelevant, but I get what you mean. Unlimited storage and someone will eventually hit that limit. Mark my words, consumers are going to be mighty pissed losing this feature.

8. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

Does this bug on win 10 already fixed?

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not a bug, it's by design.

10. gcoupe

It may be just a hiccup, but on the second time round that I had gone from my laptop first running Windows 8.1, then Windows 10 TP build 10041 and finally to build 10061, I almost had a disaster.

The first time round, everything was OK - folders that I had kept offline in Windows 8.1 were the only folders to be synced in build 10061. The other folders were present, but empty.

The second time, however, it seems as though Windows 10 decided that my offline folders would be emptied of all but a few files, and then would treat them as the masters. So it proceeded to wipe out swathes of my files from the corresponding OneDrive folders. Then my main desktop PC running Windows 8.1 proceeded to delete these files from its OneDrive folders...

Fortunately, the desktop PC is backed up nightly by WHS 2011, so I was able to restore all the files into the affected folders, so a disaster was narrowly averted...