OneDrive in Win10 loses ability to see unsynced files..

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by spinedoc77, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The placeholder has additional metadata; for photos, this would be a thumbnail, and XMP (e.g. IPTC Core, geotags, and Exif data in XMP form). I find that on average, photo and music placeholders average out at about 1% of the original file sizes.

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Then keep it simpler, and remove all that extra information but don't remove the entire functionality. It feels like "the pipe is leaking, let's remove the entire water net from the house" .

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Er, I don't want that "extra" information removed at all. From my perspective, it is essential information. Without it, I'm unable to search my OneDrive files.

See https://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/build-9879-of-windows-10-has-removed-smart-files/ for more info and examples.

4. Sweetpea8472

I've already read that piece, but I still feel like they're rolling back the clock for nothing. Considering the OneDrive implementation of 8.1 was the only reason I ever thought about moving to Windows 10, they just removed any reason for me to make that step. We already have that exact function they now say is new in Windows 10 in Windows 7. An application that allows you to selectively download folders to your HDD and if you want more, you'll have to go to the browser. And I still don't understand why they won't give the users an options: too complicated? Turn it off. You don't want the extra information? Turn off that extra information. You want that extra information? Live with the fact that it will take a bit more space on your local drive.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So far they've also claimed that there won't be any OneDrive app, only the built-in integration, which also seems like a mistake to me.

6. Sweetpea8472

"In Windows 10, placeholders are replaced by selective sync. To change OneDrive settings, right-click the icon in the notification area, select Settings, switch to the Choose folders tab, and click the Choose folders button. You can either sync All files and folders on your OneDrive, or Choose folders to sync, meaning they will be available locally."
    (http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/onedrive-will-work-windows-10/)

That sounds like an application to me.... It'll probably be pre-installed, just like Notepad, Paint, etc, but it'll still be an application somewhere.

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Its integrated into Explorer and has a Tray Icon:
    upload_2015-4-14_7-13-50.png

Which has a Menu when right clicked:
    upload_2015-4-14_7-15-0.png

Which allows you to select what to sync:\
    upload_2015-4-14_7-16-11.png

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I probably wasn't being specific enough here. By app I meant akin to the OneDrive app on Android, Windows Phone, iOS, and the Metro/WinRT app... something that would show you all of your files on the cloud, and let you download them on an individual basis when needed. As it is right now, you need to go to the browser and log into the OneDrive site to do so. Someone specifically asked Gabe Aul on Twitter when we would see a OneDrive app in Windows 10, and he said there won't be one, just the integrated support.

9. Sweetpea8472

I know those screens, I use the Windows 7 application. It's exactly the same.

Ah, yes. And that's the part I'll miss most. I find the Windows 7 solution too limited. Which means there's not reason at all to move to Windows 7...

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They are getting rid of the OneDrive app? That's terrible, I love the OneDrive app on my tablet. Will we be forced to hunt and peck through the windows explorer, or will there be an other option that's touch friendly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.