OneDrive in Win10 loses ability to see unsynced files..

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by spinedoc77, Apr 8, 2015.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another blunder on MS part IMO, now we cannot see unsynced files. In Win10 we are forced into selective sync, you have to choose which folders to sync and if they are not synced you lose them. This completely negates the value of a cloud drive IMO. The whole value was I can have way more info on the cloud than locally, so I could see my 2TB of data on my little 16gb tablet.

Ostensibly it was to avoid confusion, but maybe all it needed was 1) better icons to demarcate these were online files and 2) a tutorial when OneDrive was installed, or upon first Windows install boot to teach users this. Come on, it's not rocket science and I refuse to believe consumers are really that dumb.

There is some justification though: http://www.infoworld.com/article/28...anges-to-onedrive-spark-a-user-rebellion.html Which says that part of the reason was to save space, apparently the unsynced placeholders take up space. So for 7gb of cloud files those unsynced placeholders would take 200mb on your PC. Extrapolated that means that to fill your 16gb hard drive with placeholders you would have to have 560gb (x1000 not 1024, sorry) of cloud drive. That can be significant I suppose, especially users get into Terrabytes of space. But damn Microsoft, there has to be a way, I mean OneDrive just lost all value to me, I can use Dropbox, Google, Box, etc to accomplish the same thing.

Thoughts?

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It is often touted as a way to increase capacity for mobile devices, but I wonder if that is really the main appeal for most people. For me, the value of cloud storage is as an always on sync middleman for documents that I use across all my devices. I'd prefer to keep the placeholders files as well, but I tend to sync everything to all of my devices (except pictures/videos), so in my use case it isn't a utility killer.

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's clear that Microsoft are rethinking and re-engineering this feature. It's equally clear that it won't be in the first release of Windows 10. That's unfortunate, but I'd rather have it done properly.

Having said that, the implementation in Windows 8.1 works well for me, and may just be another reason why I'll stick with 8.1 until 10.1 becomes available next year.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My completely uneducated guess is that the plan is to do it how the Photos app does it- each app has its own OneDrive integration for the files it needs. Photos app aggregates all of your photos from OneDrive into the view. I'd bet the finished version of the Word/Powerpoint/Excel Store apps will let you fully browse from any of those files you have saved on OneDrive, etc.

I consider the Windows 8.1 placeholder method to be far superior as well.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Just checked my Windows 8.1 SP3, I have 80GB with of OneDrive files with no files available offline, the Placeholders files occupy over 1GB of disk space which does impact 16GB devices. I also understand that part of this issue is the unification of OneDrive Consumer and OneDrive for Business Sync Engines, with the OneDrive for Business Engine taking over which is based on Groove.

This is painful transition but the advantage for Microsoft and for us is ODB is more secure, has HIPPA Certification as well as around 20+ other US and EU Certifications

6. spinedoc77

ODB has HIPAA already, we have a business associates agreement with Microsoft in case they get breached. It's a great way to share information with other providers, but the selective sync will take away all the advantage. I don't expect a provider looking for information to sync my entire library or be unable to browse what files they need.

7. jnjroach

That is what I said, so by merging ODC with ODB Engine it gains the same level of certification.

8. spinedoc77

Yes I did read that somewhere, very interesting. I wonder if there will be a difference in level of service. I actually prefer ODC as ODB is a bit clunky in areas. But the sacrifice with selective sync will be too much, I'll cling to win8.1 as long as I can. Just got a new SSD for my home desktop so I can ditch Win10 and resinstall Win8.1.

9. jnjroach

Eventually all of these changes will replicate to the older OS'S as well. Once the engines are merged it will impact all platforms.

10. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Once that happens, I won't be using OneDrive anymore. The only reason I was considering moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was the fact that I could select files to sync in OneDrive in Windows 8.1 (I assumed that would not change in Windows 10).

Why not make it an option: use the Windows 8.1 method (file selection) or the Windows 7 method (folder selection).

And if a placeholder takes too much space, why not look into that. It should not take 5% of the space, it's only a name, a type, size and some information where to find the original file.