One year of Office 365 on <10.1'' devices?

Discussion in 'Software' started by HJK, Feb 4, 2017.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

It's been a while since I've been in the market for a small device, and I'm shopping around again now. It used to be that all devices 10.2 inches and smaller came bundled with a year of Office 365, but that seems to no longer be the case? I'm seeing some devices that don't seem to have it and some that do.
    So, what's the story on this? If I buy a sub 10.2 inch device new from a major manufacturer, should I expect it to have a key for a year of Office 365? Do I need to ask on a case by case basis?
    Info. on this would help me decide what to do going forward.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't get a year of Office 365 on my new Dell (Venue Pro 8), so I guess it's not default anymore (when I got my Asus Vivotab Note 8, I got a full version of Office, not the 365 version).

3. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

office mobile app without 365 from a couple years ago: http://www.windowscentral.com/office-mobile-apps-will-require-office-365-pcs-and-large-tablets
    If it's not preloaded supposedly it's available: https://products.office.com/en-us/mobile/office-mobile-apps-for-windows

I have on my phone, but don't have any experience with the mobile app on a tablet of any size.

your question really was related to 365 free for a year...

4. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting
    My guess is that anything running full Windows classifies as a "PC or large tablet." At the time of the first article there was talk of a "Windows Mobile" that was to supplant Windows RT and run on smaller tablets (whatever that means), iirc. I'm guessing that this language on the first link about it being "free" for everything smaller than a "large tablet" reflected the idea that you can't get Windows mobile apps free on full Windows, but you can get them free on Windows phone or Windows "mobile" (which never came into existence, unless I'm missing something). Which would effectively mean that Office mobile apps are only free on phones.
    Even so, I'll try installing the mobile apps on my daughter's Asus T100 tomorrow just to see what happens.

5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

About Windows "mobile": yes, you're missing something. It's Windows 10 Mobile. So yes, it did came into existence.

I have Office365 Personal. Which means an install on 1 PC and 1 tablet. I have installed it both on my PC and on my Surface Pro 2. But when I first activated it on my SP2, I couldn't activate it on my PC. But the other way around did work.

On my Dell (8") I have the mobile apps.