One picture a day....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by martin8x8, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martin8x8

martin8x8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Two weeks ago, I started the "one picture a day keeps the doctor away" project. You can see the results on evernote:
    https://www.evernote.com/pub/edition8x8/fromeeenote
    Have fun, Martin

November 2012:
    I just changed my blog. As evernote changed something in the security settings, we are not able to upload content directly from our eee-note.
    The new blog is to be found here:
    http://tageszeichnungen.blogspot.de
    enjoy it,
    Martin

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

:D these are really cool! I really like the antiques shop one, and all the people you draw look very friendly.

3. etienne

etienne Pen Pal - Newbie

Great, but...

don't understand anything (well not images)...

I'm too busy to learn French, English and if I got time Finnish. :D

4. Toasty_Ohs

Toasty_Ohs Pen Pal - Newbie

This is great, I am very impressed with your skills and with how well the eee note works as a sketch book.

5. chris-lawrence

chris-lawrence Pen Pal - Newbie

Quirky :) Keep at it.

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Martin, these are just wonderful. There's an undeniable charm. Are you actually doing them everyday? And how long are they taking you on average?

They're very simple- I love the line art. I was presuming much of their charm and energy must be because of the constraints of time, as you're doing one every day. Perhaps they become less "precious" and more free instead?

Would love to hear more about your process and the experiment I habit in general. Thanks for sharing!

7. martin8x8

Dear Steve,
    thank you for your interest in my drawings. For me it`s lots of fun thinking what happened today and making the drawing. Also it`s lots of discipline because I really want to do it every day.
    (The great painter Hokusai started every day by painting a lion which means power!) In everyday life I am artist and paper engineer, which means constructing, drawing and printing. If you are interested: edition8x8
    (it is in german but with lots of pictures)
    I am very new in tablet pc but very interested. Do you use your x200t for drawing?
    Martin

8. Steve B

Your paper constructions are fascinating and fun! There's a similar aesthetic to them-- a simplicity and reduction of line that I really like. I've actually been regularly going to your EeeNote page, and look over your drawings. So someone's viewing them! :)

As for myself, yes, I do art on my x200t. By day, I'm a landscape designer and contractor (for which I use my x200t in the field, and for design work), and in my off hours write and illustrate children's books, and am building a portfolio, as well as other watercolor work. I do it with natural media, as well as with digital watercolors. My blog is Seamless Expression

I have my art there-- watercolors and concepts for children's books, some of my poems, and some of my posts about tablet pc's and tech. If you care to take the time and persure my posts, I'm happy to receive you feedback.

Have you thought of getting a tablet pc like the x200t? I love mine. I've also been thinking of getting something really small and portable like your eeeNote-- perhaps the new Samsung Galaxy Note phone, as I'm due for an upgrade. The idea of having a digital sketch device that I would have on me all the time is really interesting and exciting. I too would like to sketch daily. It's weekly right now, but that's partly because a lot of the work I do takes atleast an hour- a few hours for each piece of work.

That's part of the appeal of the "time constraints" that I was talking about. Sometimes, I think there's a lot to be gained by simplifying your visual message. It's clealry working in the images you're uploading. They're great. The one of Adam and Eve (cat and mouse) was great. So too the one with the husband combating the seafood he's trying to cook!

9. martin8x8

Dear Steve,
    thanks for your reply. I was busy so didn`t look if someone wrote someting... I visited your blog and liked your pictures. Did you publish some of your children books?
    I had just a look in a shop at the Samsung Galaxy Note, but it`s very small and the stylus doesn`t seem to work exakt. Perhaps there are some apps which use the pressure sensitivity of the stylus? But there is a really interesting device: Asus eee slate EP121 which seems to work very well. I tested it in a shop. Great! I also read about Asus MEMO which sounds good. ....
    But the best thing about the eee note: you can use it in total daylight, in bright sun! The more light the better!!!! So this is a very good device for someone like me who likes to sit in the garden and draw.
    For home use maybe the asus EP121?
    Martin

10. Steve B

Hi Martin,
    No, I've not published anything yet, though that's my aim. I write as well as illustrate.

The Asus 121 is definitely a good device. I use a Lenovo x200t, and I love it. It's my basic laptop as well as my digital art tablet. If you're looking for a slate though, the 121 isn't a bad choice, and can be gotten a little cheaper used nowadays on eBay. It's major issue is battery life, which is pretty short-- but around the house, or plugged in, it should be quite nice.

Do you do some work professionally? The daily sketches have the flavor of a person who draws all the time, and has a very clear focus on how to get what they want down on paper. Simplifying like you're doing is harder than it seems.

There's also almost always some kind of really interesting content going on. Either
    a) a great sense of the variety of life, with many people doing many different related things at once (like the recent one with at the weiner dog restaurant) or
    b) a really interesting sense of comparison going on-- where one person does one thing and another is obviously making commentary on the activity of the first with their facial expression (like the man with the Nintendo and the wife standing next to him), or where two things are just allowed to "relate" to each other silently by being put in the same picture (like the two boats in one of your recent images)

I also really like these new animations you're doing. That's pretty fun! I can only imagine how long the one with the bird hopping from flower to flower while the man sings must have taken. I'm still going and visiting, so keep it up! Lots of fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.