1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

One Note

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by mud, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mud

mud Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone use it?

just wondering as the help feature isnt that great but it is the reason i bought the tablet

one question - what is the little oval 'text bubble' at the top left of every new page?

another - can i import a document and write on it?

thankx guys
  2. SteveAU

SteveAU Pen Pal - Newbie

It's intended to be the document title. Personally, I think it can be annoying sometimes, but I'm unsure how/if it's possible to remove it. You can handwrite in this area.

There are a few ways. You can export any Office document or e-mail etc, but you can also use the OneNote printer (Send to OneNote) to send documents to OneNote.

All up, OneNote is pretty handy but it takes some playing around with to get used to. I'm still figuring out the best way to use it for what I need.
  3. nathanbarlow

nathanbarlow Pen Pal - Newbie

its on my to-buy list.

Figure that it'll take some time to work out how to use it optimally :) But it should be good once you get there
  4. matthayes3741

matthayes3741 Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, you can open documents by clicking on the insert tab and selecting file printout...
  5. tripleqmark

tripleqmark Pen Pal - Newbie

To get rid of the page title (bubble) go to format and unclick the view/show page title.
  6. Minorthreat

Minorthreat Pen Pal - Newbie

Go to view tab, you can remove it. Also you can create templates` that do not have it.
    I use it for everything. I'm in Law school and created this post about OneNote and Tablets: OneNote & Law School: beginners guide
  7. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

Amazing program -- with or without a tablet. Some tips:

There's a printer driver called "Send to OneNote" -- anything you can print can be sent to OneNote where you can "annotate" it (ink on top of it). Everything you send to OneNote is now searchable. Take a photograph that includes text, and OneNote will find the text in the photo even.

OneNote acts like paper -- write anywhere and you're cool. Also, there's no saving...like paper, if you write it, it's there.

Drag and drop content from the web and OneNote automatically appends a link to it so you can return!

Take audio notes along with your handwritten or typed notes. When you need to hear a section, tap icon next to note and audio that occurred when that part of the notetaking was done plays back.

Tap on the little OneNote icon in the tray to bring up a SideNote which is a little version of OneNote that stays on top while you work -- like a super post it note. Right-click the icon and select "Create Screen Clipping", grab a section of your screen, and it's sent to OneNote.

Unfiled section allows you to quickly add content, and worry about which section to move it to later.

Add hyperlinks to sections/pages.

Take notes while working in other programs using the Dock to Decktop mode -- main window resized and OneNote take us the right sliver of space. When doing this with a Word file or an IE file, the notes are LINKED to the file. When you go back and read your notes, you can click on a note and it will then open up the Word file and take you directly to the spot where the note pertains.

Napkin math (keyboard only) -- when taking notes and you need a quick calculation, just type the math in, type "=", and OneNote autmatically types in the result!

Tables (keyboard only) are created simply by tapping the Tab key!

Okay, I could go on and on...I've been using it daily for years and couldn't work without it...recently created a shared Notebook on our server for my team at work and it's easier and much more fun than a wiki -- the team totally loves it. Anyway, if you have any questions, please ask. Once you begin to use it, you'll realize that you can create a notebook for work, one for school, one for your hobbies, your trip planning, whatever. Whatever you're into, you can store all your stuff related to it in OneNote if you'd like. Oh, and it's fully searchable, even the audio, if you'd like. Even allows you to lock a section (password protect), so that it's perfect for journaling, saving passwords, etc.
  8. marcelo

marcelo Pen Pal - Newbie

I can NOT express how awesome OneNote is to me, and I believe I still have a lot to learn in order to use it to its fullest potential. I started using OneNote 2003 with an old HP TC1000, and moved straight to 2010 with the purchase of my TM2t.
    I'm a college student here in Brazil, majoring on Biofuel Technology. For you to have an idea here's a screenshot of what it's capable of. ;)
    The class was Biogas Production. You can see I like changing colors of the pen, highlights, and anything I can to make my notes stand out to me, as it helps me to memorize them in order to study better.

[​IMG]
  9. Feralboy

Marcelo,

Awesome example! Like you, I often switch between the keyboard and the pen, as each has its advantage in OneNote, and it's seamless!
  10. Zimoich

Zimoich Pen Pal - Newbie

It´s very nice to get tips from the more experienced users.
    I´ve only used one note for about 3 weeks now, but I like it a lot.

Though as an Electrical engineering student, I wonder if there are some simple way to do handwritten diagrams, figures or some kind of ruler. Doing it on free hand tends to get sloppy =/
  11. niranjan162

niranjan162 Pen Pal - Newbie

There the line making tools under shapes. Also you can set paper rule to grid, that might help you, I personally use ruled
  12. mud

mud Pen Pal - Newbie

sweet - its good to see there are people crazy about this program like i am (need to justify my $1000 notepad)

thankx for all the tips people, i guess i will fool around with the page title tab a bit because i too find it annoying at times but i imagine there is a search feature built around it

as for the auto save i almost lost it today when i though i erased by closing it by accident, and another by mindlessly clicking a dialogue box that added a page to my existing nb but put my previous notes behind it (i mean i was sweating bullets)

about the print to as i cannot figure out how to do it any other way, one of my profs posts lecture notes and i save in word pad then open with word and send to one note but there are huge spacing discrepancies throughout the whole document is that because its from pad to word to one note?

thankx all,
    mud
  13. b3nz0n8

b3nz0n8 Pen Pal - Newbie

You may want a deepdive into the early stages of...Innovation, the best stuff on the Planet.

Codex to the Courier:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Codex Video:

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/AYGiiVUC" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="300" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

The Courier (...integrating the Spine was brilliant!):

[​IMG]

Courier Video:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/USbkrk8-pjw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/USbkrk8-pjw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Bill Scott: Microsoft Courier Interesting Moments & Design Patterns
    [​IMG]

InkSeine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kno -www.kno.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kno Video:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/12223465?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="576" height="324" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Kno Movie from Kno, Inc. on Vimeo.

The GBM - GottabeMobile.com team and InkShows at
    GottaBeMobile : Tablet PC, Netbook, Mobile Phones, and Multi-Touch News & Reviews

What could have been(in 2008):
    V12 Designs’ Dual-Touchscreen Notebook Coming within Two Years
    [​IMG]

...and what's next...Manual Deskterity

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Manual Deskterity Video:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9sTgLYH8qWs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9sTgLYH8qWs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

HP...hello...hellooo
    New TouchSmart App Center & Interface

And a those moving from analog to digital (and back, eventually):

[​IMG]

www.PabloMartin.com

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bEIFNPUK6zk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bEIFNPUK6zk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Emulator for Traktor Pro:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OVD_Lvv4UOI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OVD_Lvv4UOI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

GergWerk.com - Seeing The Future of the Extended DJ Interface:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/13658956" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Multi Touch Light Table: GERGWERK from GERG WERK on Vimeo.

....nothing to see here, move along.... 0.0,
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  14. Feralboy

Wow, awesome collection of links B3 -- I hadn't seen a couple of those. LOVE Inkseine -- but had a little trouble with it so I uninstalled it. Sure hope they're working on a full version or integration into OneNote (I bliss like that)!
  15. Seketh

Seketh Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

Ah, the Courier. It's a pity it'll never be released, it would really be the netbook replacement everyone was waiting for. With a stylus, it would be the perfect tool for students.

Thanks for the links about multi touch djing, interesting stuff. Emulator was actually developed with the help of members from these forum. It's great, but it's a little expensive though.
  16. mud

mud Pen Pal - Newbie

HELMET FIRE!!!!! good links
  17. mud

mud Pen Pal - Newbie

about the print to as i cannot figure out how to do it any other way, one of my profs posts lecture notes and i save in word pad then open with word and send to one note but there are huge spacing discrepancies throughout the whole document is that because its from pad to word to one note?
  18. deyanimay

deyanimay Scribbler - Standard Member

There are two little things that kinda bother me about screen clippings in onenote 2010 that maybe someone can help me fix. First whenever I take a screen clipping it gets shrunken down rather than staying the same size so I have to manually re-size it. Second is there a way to disable the time stamp/box surrounding every screen clipping because I find it unnecessary. These are only minor annoyances, but overall I love onenote.
  19. marcelo

marcelo Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope this helps:

[​IMG]

The picture is self-explanatory! =)
  20. Feralboy

Mud,

Open the file in Wordpad, or whatever, then go to the Print option and change the printer to "Send to OneNote" ... it "prints" the document to OneNote. Any program you can print from will allow you to "print" the document to OneNote by selecting the OneNote printer driver.

Hope this answers your question.