One Note - Need Some Advice from Regular Users Please

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by hitman, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Steve,
    Yup, all my scout data with *** numbers, telephone lists, etc. are on OneNote. Also, I organize my work stuff with a notebook for every program I track; cycle timing, program costs, milestone information, DV status, etc. and that is about like a list of CIA agents to my company.

I personally think that all the push to 'the cloud' is a mistake for people that have info that may be sensitive. It isn't all about work secret stuff either it also involves personal information entrusted to leaders of outside groups.

As long as I don't lose my SD card I will be okay. Now that I have stated all this I need to look into ways of encrypting the SD card. I wonder if it is possible. They are only FAT, can they be reformated to NTFS? What a pain that would be to have a PW lock on it but I may need to do that.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Ironically, I was thinking the same thing about your security. I was like "Hm, no cloud for him, that's good-- but what if he loses the SD card? Or if someone got his laptop? There it'd be." So, I think you're dead on about that. The SD isn't even protected by your laptop security swipe, etc.

Stuff I'd never even thought of.

3. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

You might be able to try TrueCrypt It allows you to encrypt entire drives or you can make an encrypted file that you can mount as a hard drive. You can either probably just encrypt the entire thing, or put an encrypted file/vhd (not sure how to describe it properly) and put a portable install of truecrypt on there so you can mount it on any computer. Just remember to mount it before opening it up in Onenote probably. I think making an encrypt volume with a portable install on your SD card would work best if you use a lot of different devices. If you go between two computers regularly, then install truecrypt normally, and just mount the SD card, this way would allow you to encrypt the entire SD card. I've never encrypted an entire drive before with it, so I don't exactly know how that would work, but making an encrypted file seems to work alright.

4. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

dceggert,
    thanks for the detailed post - will have to try but have now managed to sync using skydrive. Must admit I don't like to rely on internet access or having to open another account. Pan drive sounds a lot easier so when I get the chance I might try this.
    Must say I'm loving One Note but am still suffering from wavy lines with pen input on occasions but not always (solved by restarting the tablet) - any ideas how to solve this?
    cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.