One Note - Need Some Advice from Regular Users Please

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by hitman, Mar 17, 2012.

1. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

Having bought an X200T I was ready to commit to One Note for organising notes, classes etc. However, just spent the whole of last night trying to share One Note between my desktop and laptop but the whole process seems so clunky! To me One Note looks like an amazing program but I really need to be able to have 2 copies of the same documents - one on laptop and one on desktop and be able to update/sync the two easily. At the moment it appears that I have to sign up to sky drive and then email myself updates to One Note folders. I did this last night and it took 2 hours for the emails to arrive. Then One Note wouldn't open automatically for me to view the folders. It also appears to be the case that I need an internet connection to carry out the syncing which I won't always have with my laptop. BTW not knocking One Note - probably/hopefully my incompetence which can be solved easily?

So can anyone give me some advice on how best to set up One Note or provide some other alternatives I could use - Bluebeam Revu? Evernote?

I will be writing most of the content for One Note folders on my desktop but everyday additions, annotations, notes etc will be on my laptop. It can be up to 4/5 days before my laptop and desktop are physically linked.

Any advice would be brilliant :)

2. supertwit

supertwit Pen Pal - Newbie

Possible option: set your onenote default / backup folder to be a dropbox folder...

then, as soon as dropbox syncs on whatever computer, you have all your notes.

biggest downside to this is if you have huge notebooks...usually, my notebooks run between 200 megs to 1 gig depending on how old they are so then if you've got a huge notebook, this will not work well.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Get/ use a modest sized (4gb or so) SD card or USB thumb drive and simply copy the "OneNote Notebooks" folder from your Documents folder, then copy to [and choose 'replace'] on your desktop. Its not the easiest, and it isn't automatic, but it puts you in control of it all which is good; It is what I do to get documents between my Tablet PC's (though sometimes I use folder shares to access documents on one from another, when they are connected to my network). You will need a free USB port or a SD card slot/ reader on your desktop though.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Dropbox is free for the first 2 gb and works well. I use it for just abut everything. I've not tried it with the preset One Note folders, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for syncing that too. That would be my advice.

5. hitman

Cheers everyone, so do I set default/back up folder to dropbox/usb drive on both computers ( desktop and laptop) ? If so what happens when I open one note - does it just automatically sync or do I have to open drop box first, then one note?

6. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

You should read up a bit about Skydrive and OneNote. They're supposed to be kept in sync automatically and in the background with delay being close to real time, as long as there's an internet connection. Sharing of any links should at worst be necessary as an initial step.
    Google something like "Skydrive OneNote howto" and you should get enough results from MS' own sites with detailed pictures and descriptions.

I can't give you any details as I'm using my file server for syncing, but I haven't heard complaints yet. And neither have I ever heard one of the Skydrive people telling me they have to do anything manually.

An SD card for sharing notebooks sounds, sorry to say, like a bad joke. I'd also be careful with using anything but OneNote's own mechanisms for syncing notebooks. Even Windows' own offline files feature can easily lead to corruption and conflicts, which I did encounter myself, reproducibly.

7. hitman

Thanks, but this is not always possible for me...

8. hitman

Hattori, reading this again:

This is what I'm likely to do - don't want to be connected to skydrive and have to log in each time etc etc

Also if I start off using skydrive can I switch quite easily to my own network.

How easy was this to set up?

cheers

9. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

hitman,
    Hold on...yes, all of the above will 'work' in some fashion or another, but my OneNote is in sync between my laptop at home, TabletPC that I carry back and forth, and work laptop at work. No gyrations, no complicated steps, no cloud syncing, nothing like that.

Okay, with that said, I assume you are using 2010, or at least 2007. I am not even sure how 2003 works but I assume since the 2010 product was improved over 2007 and 2007 was improved over 2003, that 2003 may be substantially limited in this regard.

Now, I have two types of OneNote folders; 1) personal folders that are not very important, and 2) the stuff I use every day at the office and home. Let's start with the second...

Important stuff needed to sync - don't sync it. Move the OneNote folder(s) that may fit this category to a pen drive or SD Card. Then, open OneNote; the folder you just moved should have disappeared. Now, on the left panel chose to 'open notebook.' Open the notebook from the SD card or thumbdrive leaving the notebook on the SD Card. OneNote now makes a local copy of the file but treats the one on the SD card as the master. Now move the card to the other computer. Open OneNote and delete the notebook. Once it is gone then you open the notebook again from the SD Card or thumbdrive just like on the other computer. Some notes on what just happened and modes of operation:
    a. The master OneNote file for that notebook is now on your SD Card or thumbdrive. You also have (2) local copies; one on the desktop and one on the TabletPC. You can make changes to each one and then when you put the card in the computer the changes you make will sync to the card.
    b. If you change something on the desktop and move the card to the TabletPC, or vice-versa, the changes appear on the other.
    c. If you change the local copy on the desktop and you change the local copy on the TabletPC, then insert the car in one then the other, both sets of changes appear on both computers.

That is all there is to it!

Now on to the other kind of sync - less important stuff - I use Windows Live Mesh to keep the My Documents directory in sync betweem my home laptop and my TabletPC. All my OneNote notebooks are synchronized whenever my two computers are on the internet at the same time. I use this method to sync the non-essential stuff because they are not always on the internet together. Everything in My Documents is synchronized this way including all my Word files and research data. It works very well. What does not sync are Outlook .pst files and local OneNote notebooks of the stuff that syncs to my SD card. So, there are no conflicts.

To me the two approaches are seamless and quick and I have been doing this now for a couple of years without any data loss or a situation that would not work. I also do not make use of any online storage anywhere that may be compromised in some fashion and my data get into the open.

I hope this helps...

10. Steve B

Sounds pretty reasonable.

Of course, I have absolutely no truly important personal or professional information that I feel would be "compromised" if someone decided to hack my Dropbox account and view my poems and plant lists. So, take using Dropbox with a grain of salt.

However, its free, easy to set up, allows you to have a copy on your desktop so you can access stuff even if you don't have internet access for some reason, and you can easily allow other people to view only specific Dropbox folders if you want to allow them access. Personally, I save everything on it and have never felt any worry.

I'm not doing any corportate or with some sort of sensitive information though. I think that would change the nature of the conversation. I'm sure all the various options are pretty good.

11. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Steve,
    Yup, all my scout data with *** numbers, telephone lists, etc. are on OneNote. Also, I organize my work stuff with a notebook for every program I track; cycle timing, program costs, milestone information, DV status, etc. and that is about like a list of CIA agents to my company.

I personally think that all the push to 'the cloud' is a mistake for people that have info that may be sensitive. It isn't all about work secret stuff either it also involves personal information entrusted to leaders of outside groups.

As long as I don't lose my SD card I will be okay. Now that I have stated all this I need to look into ways of encrypting the SD card. I wonder if it is possible. They are only FAT, can they be reformated to NTFS? What a pain that would be to have a PW lock on it but I may need to do that.

12. Steve B

Ironically, I was thinking the same thing about your security. I was like "Hm, no cloud for him, that's good-- but what if he loses the SD card? Or if someone got his laptop? There it'd be." So, I think you're dead on about that. The SD isn't even protected by your laptop security swipe, etc.

Stuff I'd never even thought of.

13. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

You might be able to try TrueCrypt It allows you to encrypt entire drives or you can make an encrypted file that you can mount as a hard drive. You can either probably just encrypt the entire thing, or put an encrypted file/vhd (not sure how to describe it properly) and put a portable install of truecrypt on there so you can mount it on any computer. Just remember to mount it before opening it up in Onenote probably. I think making an encrypt volume with a portable install on your SD card would work best if you use a lot of different devices. If you go between two computers regularly, then install truecrypt normally, and just mount the SD card, this way would allow you to encrypt the entire SD card. I've never encrypted an entire drive before with it, so I don't exactly know how that would work, but making an encrypted file seems to work alright.

14. hitman

dceggert,
    thanks for the detailed post - will have to try but have now managed to sync using skydrive. Must admit I don't like to rely on internet access or having to open another account. Pan drive sounds a lot easier so when I get the chance I might try this.
    Must say I'm loving One Note but am still suffering from wavy lines with pen input on occasions but not always (solved by restarting the tablet) - any ideas how to solve this?
    cheers :)