One Note Glitch

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by xantho, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xantho

xantho Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. Sometimes (but not only) when I take notes with OneNote I get "blank" text that takes the document upward while I am writing downwards. Its composed of just blank space, and if you highlight all of the text within the box it's linked to some random text in the middle of my page. Here's a picture for proof:

[​IMG]

I also notice that this glitch makes the file size HUGE, like from 3MB to 12 or 15 MB. I can't delete the space at the top because it will screw up all of my notes (as some text gets shifted up while other says in the same spot).

Any ideas how to fix/avoid this?

Thanks

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a bug, which I had to deal with since I started using OneNote. I haven't found a solution for this annoying bug. All you can do is to select the ink below and copy it to a new page.

3. xantho

xantho Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a way to do that without bringing over the empty spaces? They always seem to come over with the copied text.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Bugs like that are why I've switched to using Journal almost exclusively. I'd love to use Onenote all the time, but they need to make it more reliable.

5. Frank

I haven't used ON for a long time now, but I thought that if I used the lasso tool to select only parts of the ink I was able to transfer the ink to a new page without the empty space.

Yep, that's why I also stopped using ON, crashes, data loss, scrambled ink, this empty space and limited features. It has a lot of potential, but at the moment it's rather an alpha version than a final product in version 2.

6. seifip

seifip divita

Install OneNote 2010 TC or Beta and convert your notes to the 2010 format. That will remove the white space and fix the bug.

Unfortunately, other OneNote problems like scrambled/moving text aren't fixed even in the 2010 version :( OneNote has a lot of potentiall, but with all of it's bugs the only real reason why I'm still using it is the fact that there is no real alternative.

7. xantho

xantho Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice. Do you know where I can get the Office 2010 TC? Should I just torrent it?

OneNote, despite all of the flaws has been a lifesaver for me in school. I seriously couldn't imagine living without it. The search function and print-to-OneNote function are great.

8. Frank

Wait a few days, Microsoft will release a public beta of Office 2010 this month, which should have a lot of improvements compared to the Technical Preview, which wasn't such a great experience regarding OneNote because of the poorly implemented Ribbon Bar.

9. seifip

seifip divita

@Frank: Do you believe that the ribbon will be improved in the next Beta? The Beta 2 (available on torrents), although it is much more stable than the TC, has a ribbon identical to the TC, features the same bugs (like moving/scrambled text etc.) and has many portions of the UI that could be massively improved.

10. Frank

Mh, I just took a second look at the Connect forums and haven't found the entry I thought I have read. Maybe i just misunderstood one answer, or a suggestion as an answer.
    That's one hint MS gave:
    However, that's not really the flexibility a tablet user needs.
    Sorry, but I haven't found a further 'official' solution, so maybe I just misunderstood one post.

Especially after reading this post I have little hope.
    So all you can do is to hope that some volunteer codes a PowerToy which brings back a good pen selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.