One and only Asus Vivo Tab revival thread

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 28, 2021.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Alright then, two more posts on my current thoughts on a successor to the late great Vivotab Note 8 (hey; that rhymes!):

1) I ordered on eBay a Galaxy Tab S6 and that may fit the bill nicely. Thinner, lighter, and slightly smaller than the Tab S7, in terms of footprint and bulk it is closer in size to my Vivotab than it is to my Latitude 11. Yet the screen is almost as large as the 10.8 inch screen on the Latitude, and the processor is better than the Latitude's M5.

I've used these Windows tablets for years because back in 2015 or so, Android could just not cut it when compared with full x86 Windows for what I wanted to do. But the landscape has changed so much since then. With mobile apps so much better, Samsung Dex, and more you can do on Android in general, I'm optimistic that the Tab S6 could end up doing what I want my "pocket" tablet PC to do.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  2. HJK

2) But what about the dream of finding a M80TA replacement in terms of a small, penabled Windows tablet that actually has a decent processor? Certainly the major OEMs haven't made one, unless you count the Surface Go.

Well, it turns out there are a number of Asian made "off-brand" devices, and it looks like the 1Netbook One Mix (Yoga) series is the best option among those. Specifically, the One Mix 3 runs on a core M or better, has a similar footprint to the M80TA, and sports a larger and better screen.
    OneMix 3 Series | One-Netbook (1netbook.com)
    I really like the look of the One Mix 4, which reminds me of a miniature and stout HP Dragonfly. Even with a 10.1 inch screen, the small bezels give it a relatively small footprint, too--larger than the AVTN8, but significantly smaller than the old Windows 8.1 10.1 inch Transformer style devices.

The problem is, these devices start at $1K and go up from there. At that price point, I suspect most people would rather invest in a high-end penabled phone these days--Galaxy Note, Surface Duo, or Galazy Z Fold 3. I would love to splurge and get the pink cat-themed One Mix 3 for my 15 year old artist daughter for Christmas. It looks fantastic and would help her get more used to making digital art, which would help her out down the road. But I know that I could spend $1K on other gifts that she would appreciate and use much, much more.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The Galaxy Tab 8.0 with S-pen did it for me, Granted, I'm completely focused on it being a note-taking device with OneNote and Samsung Notes being my prime apps. It also makes for a great e-reader.

djas and HJK like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I tried to make the GTA8w/SPen (2019) work for me. Much to like in its weight, balance, EMR pen joy, etc. But I kept crashing against the painful UI gaps on Android (ESPECIALLY OneNote) and the 16/10 screen ratio.

The iPad Mini 6 (2021) using Apple Pencil 2 with the soft replacement nibs, more fulsome UI and 3/2 screen ratio are really making my tech life simpler and more pleasant. I wish I could rationally explain the perception difference between 3/2 and 16/10. It seems trivial, but 16/10 sets my teeth on edge. Oh, and setting Kindle for two column presentation in landscape gives me enough of the page turning joy that I miss my SDuo OG less.

Granted, it isn't Windows, but I repeat myself:

"M$: WE WANT FULL WINDOWS IN AN
    IPAD SIZED HOUSING & BATTERY LIFE!!!"

We return you now to your regularly scheduled programming....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    HJK, Kumabjorn and Eltos like this.
  5. HJK

I hope I have better luck with my Galaxy Tab S6 than you did with your 8 inch note.

For my part, the 16:10 (and why don't we call it 8:5, btw? lol) aspect ratio is much less of a problem, especially when note taking on a smaller device. When taking notes in OneNote I much prefer to have the device in landscape mode, and I want as much horizontal space as possible so I can write all the way across the screen. My handwriting is fairly large, so I can't imagine taking any meaningful notes on a small tablet in portrait, regardless of screen ratio. For surfing the web and e-reading in portrait mode, I've preferred the 3:2, but not so much that it really bothers me.

Tams and Bishop like this.
  6. HJK

OneMix 3 | One-Netbook (1netbook.com)
    Consolidate this into one shell (ditch the keyboard and streamline the ports) and Bob's your uncle.
    It wouldn't address your aspect ratio concerns, Bishop, but the point is it could be done, if OEM's wanted to do it.

7. Cavlin Grier

Cavlin Grier Pen Pal - Newbie

My M80TA has been great for 4 years, but the pen just stopped working. I've actually taken it apart over the years to fix various issues, but I think it is time to retire it.

Has anyone had experience with the small Chuwi Windows Tablets with pen support? I've always been intrigued, but now it seems I'll need to give it a whirl.

--Vinnie

8. John Galea

John Galea Pen Pal - Newbie

Which of the Chuwi's support a pen, i looked at the website, it isn't obvious. I played with an older Chuwi a long time ago. overall build quality, screen quality etc were noticeably lower than a main stream supplier like Asus.

9. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Most budget Chinese tablet brand like Chuwi, Teclast etc use Goodix Pen, which isn't all that great. Last time I used one, wiggle lines was bad, hover distance is almost nonexistent so palm rejection were poor.

Also those Chinese companies tend to use low quality battery (my father's Teclast had a balloon up battery) . The power IC they use are also quite poor in quality. We had 2 Chinese tablet that occasionally refuse to turn on with the power button even if it still had a charge, had to plug in the power and press the power button at the same time, but after they wake up showing 90% battery, I could unplug it and use for a few hours.

All in all, I think it's not a good investment to buy Chinese tablet. I used to think that as long as the tablet use Intel chip it would be fine, but the poor power management of these devices make them inconvenient after a while.

Also just a notice: forum is closing on 31 Jan. Some old time users are already migrating to a new forum, you can take a look at off-topic discussions.

10. HJK

You might want to try replacing the digitizer cables.