One and only Asus Vivo Tab revival thread

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Vivo Tab revival.png Per suggestion I will start up a new thread in the necrocratic section of Asus devices. This is for those of us who upgraded to the Windows 10 version and as Windows 11 is knocking on the door this might be our last opportunity to avoid it becoming a paper weight.

Hence, the objective is to gather all the information and recourses required to re-install Windows 8 on the device while it is still viable. We will need Wacom drivers some way of bypassing the W10 bootloader, an ISO of W8 and a lot of other stuff.

The Vivo Tab 8 is still a great device for annotating documents or journaling or note taking. It is also the last 8" device running Windows that will be available for us. It is time we come together and fight the good fight for retro computing.

Start contributing.

dstrauss, nnthemperor, Marty and 3 others like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'll make my small contribution (before attempting to un-brick my device at some point :p):

(Asus M80TA driver page)

The Atom SOC driver package, the core set of drivers for the Atom Z3740 chipset:
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...CPackage_Intel_BayT_M80TA_Win81_32_VER10E.zip

The OEM Wacom digitizer drivers:
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/M80TA/WacomDigitizer_Win81_32_VER7209.zip

And the relatively new BIOS Version 213 dated 2019/07/09 (kudos to ASUS for upkeeping this thing for 5 years)
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/M80TA/M80TAAS213.zip

for which you'll need the BIOS Flash Utility:
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8.1/WinFlash/WinFlash_Win81_32_VER2420.zip

Be aware the drivers on support page are for Win8.1 32bit, so not for 64bit installs (unless you are a true adventurer :)).

Anybody have the recovery microSD they could image?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    WillAdams and nnthemperor like this.
  4. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

@Marty

If you can link me to a guide to do so, I can sort out that recovery image.

EDIT
    I've just copied > pasted the contents of the mSD card and zipped; will that be fine?
    What tutorials I have looked up were for targetting a secondary drive to clone to, not to a file.

DOUBLE EDIT:
    I'll nuke and reinstall my AVTN8 a bit later, haven't used it for ages, so will be good to test that the recovery image is in good order.
    Where's best/free to upload a 5.33GB .ZIP file at the moment for longevity?

Will most probably sell the device if anyone is interested? From Aus.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Marty likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sweet! There is a tool called Win32DiskImager that can easily clone a bootable SD to an ISO image file and zip it up after.

Here's a guide in the section "Cloning the SD Card With Windows":

https://computers.tutsplus.com/arti...raspberry-pi-sd-cards-with-windows--mac-59294

If you just copy and zip the files, there's a chance you could miss hidden/protected files or partitions, so it's generally better to take a drive image when possible.

As for file hosting, I believe OneDrive supports large (up to 250GB) files, however unless you were grandfathered in from previous plans, you might be limited to 5GB of total storage. GoogleDrive might also work, as they have file size limit of 10 GB (for zip files) and 15GB of total storage.

(If both those don't work out, pm me and we can try working something out on another provider.)

T-ravisty and WillAdams like this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have taken down everything but isn't it also necessary to unlock the Win 10 version on the Asus? Doesn't it have some sort of bootlock that stops it from installing older Windows versions?

Another noobi question (sorry guys); is there some tool that will let you copy an ISO file in its entirety? I am going to look for a micro-USB memory stick that I can have available specifically for the purpose of setting up the Vivo Tab Note 8, hence moving the ISO from my download folder over to the memory stick.

7. T-ravisty

Awesome, thanks.
    I was thinking that'd be the case. I haven't had to make an ISO for years.
    I'm restoring the device now, once it's all up and running again I'll go through that guide, upload somewhere, and link here in the coming days.

I use Rufus or balenaEtcher for writing ISO's depending on the usecase.
    For writing to a microSD card for reinstalling on the AVTN8, Etcher might be the best bet.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. T-ravisty

@Marty

Download link to the .img is here.

SHA256: CE645542A4EC4A92AF66BD5D20D1AF96BA672E6E6648FE486A401664277C876C

Successfully recovered my AVTN8 by writing the image to a mSD with Etcher.

9. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I still have my windows 8, but some programs and games get dll missing error, so my OS probably got too many bugs after long time use. Upgraded to 10 once but rolled back right after, I wonder if the recovery partition is still intact...

Kumabjorn likes this.