on the new iteration of tx2-1360CA touchsmart

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by blblblbl, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

I have done an extensive search of "tx + tablets + problems" online and found comments about jumping cursors, heating, loud fan, and odd touchscreen behaviors. I was given 100CDN off and a 14day return period so I decided to give it a try. I'm about 3 weeks into using the tablet and I have yet to notice any problems. So maybe they should have solved the glitches on this new iteration (TX2-1360CA with windows7).

My last 2 tablets were Fujitsu T4020 and T4210, which costed twice as much as this TX2-1360CA, and I can say that the physical build quality is comparable. The T4210 is slightly lighter, but the TX2 has a "battery handle" which ease carrying it. The T4210 screen has higher contrast but is dimer. T4210's viewing angle is much superior especially in the portrait orientation.

The Tx2's power socket, headphone jack, and fan outlet are located on 3 different sides of the tablet, while Fujitsu has powercord+fan on one side, and headphone jack on the front side. I have an easier time using the Fujitsu tablet in portrait mode because I can lay one side of the tablet on my body without having the fan touching my waist.

The T4210 screen is at 1024x768 compared to 1200x800 of the TX2, but for the width in portrait mode (768/800 pixels edge), the t4210 is wider physically because of the aspect ratio. So T4210 is better for viewing pdf documents in full screen mode.

As for the wacom pen, TX2's pen perform better on the edge of the screen than that of the T4210/2020, but lacks the "eraser" feature on the end of the pen. The touchscreen feature of the TX2 allows less cumbersome navigation without keyboard/mouse in the portrait mode.

I use 2 power settings for all of my tablets - a) 25% CPU + min PCIe link for normal usage b) 100% CPU + max PCIe link for demanding usage. I installed modular-drive-battery for my Fujitsu tablets, so obviously TX2 won't match that 10-11hr battery life. Heating and fan performance are pretty much the same if they're on the same power scheme - silent in my normal mode and ordinary fan noise when running heavy stuff. At 100% setting however, the TX2 ATI HD3200 video card allows me to run world of warcraft at 50fps while the T4210's last generation GMA 965 run at 20 fps.

So I would say that the comparison between current-gen TX2-1360CA and the last-gen Fujitsu T4210 is pretty much a tie. The TX2 has better performance and the touchscreen for easier mouse-less navigation, but the Fujitsu has slightly better ergonomics in portrait mode (larger width, viewing angle + fan location). Overall, I like the fact that the TX2-1360CA costs only 1k CDN.

2. trihy

trihy Scribbler - Standard Member

wacom lacks eraser... cause this tablet use ntrig, not wacom :)

BTW, it lacks drivers too, ntrig drivers are... alpha... not even beta :rolleyes:

Can you test temperatures under normal power scheme? If you can do that, please tell if you did it with or without charger :)

Some people says that newer models are cooler.

3. kingofmyworld324

kingofmyworld324 Pen Pal - Newbie

What does min PCIe link do in a laptop? What devices does it affect, wireless?

4. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

With my normal scheme, after running IE+putty+vncviewer for an extended period of time, speedfan shows "core temperature" of 47C. When running IE+putty+vncviewer+itune music playback, it's 52C. I don't know how to do that temperature distribution over the exterior, but I don't feel anything when the tablet is placed on my bare thighs. My line in/line out power scheme are the same.

As for PCIe link, from my personal experience when running 3d games on the gma965, a max link would heat up the machine and drain battery significantly due to the graphics component.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.