On-screen keyboard alternatives

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by johnmcd, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi all,

Like many of you I've been using tablets for a few years, and I've played with a lot of apps that might be useful for some of the newer users. One of the areas I have a lot of experience with is on-screen keyboards - the one in Windows 7 isn't too bad, but it's not great either. To that end I've compiled a list of alternative options for on-screen keyboards that I thought I'd share:

Free
    ====
    Click-N-Type virtual keyboard by Lake Software (Click-N-Type Virtual Keyboard by Lake Software) - Designed for people with disabilities; provides a number of very powerful features like complex macros.

InScribe by Ilium Software (Free text entry program for your UMPC - InScribe lets you take notes quickly and easily) - Provides Swype-like functionality - very fast.

UBoard by Nostram Studios (Company is defunct, but still available for download - On-screen Keyboard UBoard Still Rocks: Mobile ) - Translucent keyboard, originally designed for the Sony U-series.

SlideIT by Dasur (Dasur SlideIT - Mobile Text Input for Touchscreen devices) - Another one with Swype-like capabilities (available soon for Windows tablet)

Paid
    ====
    Comfort On-Screen Keyboard by Comfort Software ($10/$20 (lite/pro) - Comfort Software: Comfort On-Screen Keyboard for Windows) - Extremely flexible and configurable.

DialKeys Gen2 by DialKeys ($25, DialKeys Gen2: Overview of our Virtual On-Screen Keyboards designed for the UMPC, Tablet PC and other Touch Screen Devices running on Windows (XP or Vista)) - Wheel-shaped for thumb use.

Touch-It Virtual Keyboard by Chesware ($20, Touch-It Virtual Keyboard. Fully customizable on screen keyboard) - Extremely flexible and configurable.

Since I don't have my slate yet I can't make any recommendations on which one would work best, but I've used pretty much all of them at one time or another and they all have their strengths. I've also found that keyboards tend to be mostly a matter of personal preference.

If anyone has any other options, or has some experiences they'd like to offer, please do so.

Thanx.

John

2. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Evernote RitePen. It's an alternative to TIP's handwriting recognition that lets you write anywhere on the screen as well as set up macros. For example, write the word "calc" and circle it to open a calculator or the word "sig" and circle it to insert your signature block.

3. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

4. bmwm3smg2

bmwm3smg2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.