On my way to college looking for tablet pc

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by CollegeGuy, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CollegeGuy

CollegeGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Around $1000 it needed will go higher but not too much.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

I would prefer new.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

I have no idea I've never owned a pc or tablet sorry bare with me

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Any I mean whatever will do for making presentations taking notes all the things that college implies

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Hawaii, USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

I have no idea.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

I would say 7 plus hours.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Note taking word processing Web surfing presentation pretty much school work

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

No idea whatever is best for school

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    I'm not sure whatever is best for school I am going to college for criminal just & criminology if that helps

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No none at all.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No not needed

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Not really no need as long as I can see what I'm doing

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

See the above linked FAQ for guidance

No I'm fine with whatever.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?

See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes I would like one because I heard it's great for note taking

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I have no idea

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

I have no idea whatever is best for school.

Misc

1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

The only thing I can mention is once again I am going to college this fall as a freshman I am in high school right now and am just looking for something perfect for college work I am going to college for criminal justice so I don't think I'll need photoshop and those types of this and that's pretty much it. Thank you to all who read this and bless you and I hope you have a great day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If you want the best fit for all of your functions in a single unit, the ThinkPad Yoga comes to mind. 12.5 display is large enough to use as a main computer and under 4 labs is light enough to take it to class to take notes with its great Wacom pen. Its in your budget if you get one from the MS store with student discount. Add office university for four years @ $99 and you're set.

3. CollegeGuy

Thanks so much I will check it out. Much appreciated

4. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with @Bronsky's suggestion but I see that your budget is $1000.
    So you can also think about another option ie Microsoft Surface Pro 1 -128GB option. The details are as follows

1) Microsoft Surface Pro 128GB - $599 - BestBuy Link

2) Power Cover -$179 MS Store Link

This combination will give you around 7 hours. Then you can also buy following accessories

3) Screen Protector $10

4) Manvex Leather Case ~ $35 amazon link

5) External Monitor ~$100

6) Mini Display to Vga/DVI/HDMI 3 in 1 $30 - amazon link

7) USB 3.0 to RJ45 LAN Port $30 Amazon Link

So all of these will cost you around $983 which may come in your budget and you have everything you need.
    I think that you may get 10% student discount on 1) and 2) items then you can also get office university package in $1000

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

6. CollegeGuy

My budget is flexible is if worth it I'm definitely considering the thinkpad yoga.
    I would like to have a list of things I should get with it?

7. CollegeGuy

Surface Pro 2 or Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga? I need help because a lot of reviews I'm reading says the surface pro 2 is better and I asked my mom and she said I can have either or so please help. Thank you all

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I would say that Bronsky and Ykvishal has given you two excellent choices. There is another option if you want to go as light as possible. That is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Very lightweight, you can have it in a back pocket or side pocket in one of those Bermuda shorts that are popular. With your budget, you can get the device, a nice Bluetooth keyboard, a good case, some Bluetooth speakers and headphones to listen to music, and perhaps an extra stylus or two, and still have some $400 left for contingencies.

Now, you need to realize that you are leaving Windows behind. For the moment it means that instead of OneNote you will use Evernote, instead of Word you'll use Textmaker or some other Office clone. Since you are not doing mathematics or other science topic you will be fine with those apps (I get the impression you haven't used computers a lot before, is that correct?) The Galaxy Note 8 is true and tried, it has been on the market for two years now, so I would suggest you wait awhile (if you're interested in the device) because a newer version is most likely in the pipeline. Handwriting recognition on the Galaxy Note is superior to what is available in Windows right now (Windows is catching up though) and the Note 8 is kind of optimized for college students and their need for note taking (You might want to check out LectureNotes).

The Yoga and Surface are very fine machines (I have the SP2 myself) and they come with a bundled version of Office (Office will be available on Android as well, right now it is only on the latest KitKat version), they also require you to carry them in a backpack. So if you think you might be sitting in class and taking notes for some 90 minutes, then weight is one factor you might like to give a high priority.

9. CollegeGuy

I am just worried about getting a galaxy note because my mom isn't going to buy me a tablet and an ultra book if I make a purchase it needs to be the right one because if it isn't capable of doing what I need it to I will be screwed because I don't have a desktop at home I only have a smart phone witch is a Samsung galaxy s4. I would love to buy something made from Samsung such as the galaxy note series but I'm don't wanna make a mistake and end up having to return it for a real laptop

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Then a Surface Pro (the first generation is discounted at the moment) or a Yoga is a choice that covers more in a safer way. My suggestion was that you get money over from the Note 8 and if you hold on to that, you would most likely be able to find a decent used or refurbished laptop in the College Book Shop for the money you have left. Hence, you will have a superb note taking device to bring to class, and then you can do follow up work on your laptop/ultrabook in your dorm room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.