Old gen EMR vs current gen EMR

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by yodamiked, Jul 3, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Cripes I need o get hooked on phonics... Didnt see that at all.

AFAIK Intuos Pro 5 and DTH Cintiqs uses same digitizer.

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. Sounds like I won’t get the same drawing experience with something like the cube mix plus as I was getting with the GB 10.6”.

Haha wasn’t me, but I don’t mind if the topic heads in another direction that’s useful for folks.

3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have both a GB 12 and a Cube Book i7 (model just before Mix Plus). To me, there is a big difference in feel with the EMR on each.

The Cube has all the issues with the old generation EMR with constant offset and terrible performance near the edges. I felt like I had to constantly calibrate the screen, and for a 10" screen, I felt like I only had a 7" sweetspot of usability. I couldn't draw a straight line even if I used a physical ruler because the offset would change from one end to the other. So any precise inking, like linework, was frustrating. However, for me, it was fine for tasks like coloring or note taking.

As an aside, I do hope that Cube or others get access to the newer EMR because I think those tablets are a fantastic value.

The GB12 EMR is just like everyone has described with the current S-pen tech. It is precise and a joy to use... it makes me think of words like sublime or artistic. I haven't had to tweak anything aside from pressure.

Bottom line is that ever since I got the GB12, the Cube has been sitting in my drawer unused and I have no desire to go back.

4. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks so much! That’s exactly the first hand experience I was looking for. Sounds like I’m not going to get the sketching I’m looking for, however, from the cube mix plus. Might have to give the Samsung GB another go (I was getting terrible headaches from the 10.6”, even though it doesn’t have pwm...wonder if I just had a dud with a bad screen)

5. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just some further thoughts...

I'm pretty sure the Mix Plus has the same screen as the Book i7, I think the only change was a more powerful processor.

I don't want to be too harsh to the Cube, as I thought it was an excellent tablet and a great value. And you can make good art with it as we all did with the earlier generation of EMR. And I still prefer the Cube when compared to Apple Pencil or N-Trig or AES.

It's really more that, to me, the Samsung Wacom EMR has gotten that much better. And since you've already experienced what this was like, in my opinion, you'll feel like you take a step back with the Cube.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

oops, yes I meant @kurt corbin

7. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Can I ask how you adjusted the pressure with the GB? I have a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, and am enjoying the pen experience, but wouldn't mind tweaking it.

Thanks.

8. Diminuendo

Diminuendo Pen Pal - Newbie

Nyb72 may I ask a favor - could you possibly install Adobe CS2 (should be free) on your GB12 and let me know if pressure sensitivity still works with the pen? I'm interested in ordering a Raytrektab DG-D08IWP to replace my Vivotab 8 and use CS6 to avoid subscription fees. I just really don't want to waste $500AUD ordering and importing it only for it not to work. Either way thanks for your time.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Adobe CS2 isn't freely available. Adobe put up links to it when they took the activation servers down, but those e-mails only went to folks who had valid licenses and shouldn't've been shared.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  10. Diminuendo

Diminuendo Pen Pal - Newbie

30 day trial is free and legal for 30 days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.