Old gen EMR vs current gen EMR

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by yodamiked, Jul 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

I’m curious to get people’s thoughts on the old gen EMR vs the current gen (i.e., the current s pen).

I had the Samsung Galaxy Book 10” for a while and absolutely loved the feeling of the new s pen. I wasn’t able to keep it, and so am looking at some of the older generation EMR tablets (the cube mix plus, Fujitsu, etc.). Does anyone have any thoughts on parallax, IAF, offset, etc between last gen EMR and the current gen? Will I get substantially the same experience, or will I be disappointed comparing it to the current s pen tech?

I’ve used the Apple Pencil, and 1st and 2nd gen AES, so somewhat familiar with the feel/jitter/accuracy/IAF/etc. of those.

Thanks all!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I jump between old and new EMR standards almost every day.

The latest Samsung version of the tech is really nice, an improvement, I think. The IAF is perfect and the edge offset has been reduced to the point of irrelevance. I find with the older tech, you have to press a little harder, and the drift is noticeable.

Otherwise, they both have the same smooth action, offering a very pleasant system to draw and ink with. Both old and new are easily superior to the Wacom AES pen I worked with for half a year. I've never worked with N-Trig beyond test driving in a computer shop, (where I was sorely unimpressed). And I've never even seen an Apple Pencil in person, so I can't say anything about that.

Shizaru likes this.
  3. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you saying the latest Samsung emr beats the latest Wacom emr?

4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I would agree with @thatcomicsguy the accuracy of the new S-pen is pretty much spot on with virtually no noticeable offset, edge detection is no longer an issue of concern. The pen is way better than my old gen devices Samsung ATIV 700T1C and Wacom Companion I. I haven't used any of the latest Wacom devices but I would imagine the S-pen is on par, although Wacom probably has an edge, especially when it comes to driver support and features. My biggest complaint about the S-pen is the driver and lack of customisation for the button etc.can be a pita.

As for calibration I haven't touched it, it was spot on right out of the box. I can just hand the machine to anyone and they can crack on without any calibration issues. With the old Gen Wacom devices the offset would vary across the screen and if you changed your position too much the alignment would go out of whack. If someone else used the pen recalibration tended to be a requirement.

I don't even worry about looking at the courser theses days the lines start right where you place the pen in a very natural way in my experience.

The biggest problem with the pen right now isn't the EMR performance it's all the BS M$ keep coming up with to destroy the pen experience on Win 10.

5. thatcomicsguy

Sort of.

The physical technology and tactical feedback of the stylus nib/cursor behavior is top notch. The Samsung drivers, however, leave much to be desired. -You need to perform an off reservation software hack to get a simple hover-click to work.

*****EDIT

Wait. No. Of course not. I read your question wrong.

They're both Wacom. Samsung just licenses the tech from them and uses crappier drivers.

6. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

Not exactly on topic, but except for your hand being in the way or not, is there any difference between current intuos emr and current cintiq/msp emr?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. thatcomicsguy

Gee.., I couldn't say for sure. I've not used a 'blind' tablet in years. But back when I was playing with a big Intuos board from several genrations back, I didn't notice any practical difference. The pen worked on both the Intuos and my old Cintiq. -Also.., I used an Intuos driver on one of my old Penabled Frankenstein TPC screens. I think the tech is pretty much interchangeable.

Why do you ask?

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

As long as we are talking about the most current Intuos Pro tablets vs. the current Cintiqs, they should be an identical EMR specs and experience --barring the obvious differences that come with having a screen or not. The only one thing hard to find the specs on are IAF, but Wacom mentions in a support article regarding the Intuos Pro 5 that they did indeed increase the IAF with the new Pro Pen, so I think its safe to assume its the same as on the cintiq.
    I tried a new Intuos recently and it was funky trying to remember how to use them after using Cintiqs for so long, but the pen felt responsive and awesome as soon as you mapped it to be the same dimensions as the screen you were drawing on.

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Samsung's UD series S Pen digitizer is completely different than the Cintiq Pro and Intuos Pro 5's DTH digitizsrs. Only commonality are EMR and Wacom.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Agree with you of course, but I'm not talking about S-Pen at all there... OP asked a second question (that I quoted) in regards to new Intuos Pro pen tech vs. new Cintiqs.
    So on that note, do you know if the newest Intuos lineup is identical specs to the cinitiq line-ups? I was under the impression it was.