Old Games

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by chriscannon, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TabbyAJR

TabbyAJR Pen Pal - Newbie

I have several old games that don't work correctly with the pen when in game (coordinates seem off). The max resolution of these games are 1024x768. I'm thinking this is where the problem is coming from. I even changed my resolution to be 1024x768 and that didn't fix things. Is there anyway to get these games to respond to the pen as if it was the mouse?

Thanks.

2. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

which games?

3. TabbyAJR

Dungeon Keeper 2 and Emperer: Battle for Dune - both are RTSes so I thought using the pen would be cool.

4. Kiel

Kiel Scribbler - Standard Member

did you recalibrate your pen after changing the resolution?

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The C141XL is widescreen, or?
    The only things you can do is:
    - find a fix to run your games in widescreen mode
    DK2
    - run the game in the 4:3 resolution but stretch the whole display to 16:10 via the graphic card driver.

The Wacom digitizer has fix coordinates. The upper left point on the digitizer is the upper left point on the display, wherever this point is on the display. The digitzer operates resolution independent. I haven't found a possiblity to say my digitizer that I want to run a game in 800x600, centered and the digitzer should only operate in this visible resolution.
    You could write Microsoft that they shall fix it, just release a new improved version of wisptis.exe which is responsible for the pen calibration/position, but I don't believe they will do it :D

[Edit] I found a third possibility:
    Set your windows resolution to the game resolution (1024x786 or 800x600).
    Then calibrate your pen. Now change the windows resolution to the native resolution. Start the game and enjoy the right placed pen, and also enjoy the wrong placed pen if you're back in windows ^^
    This solution is only good for games that don't support widescreen resolutions.
    Now we should only know where windows saves the pen calibration data and then it should be possible for a program to exchange this data on the fly depending on the resolution you work with.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. TabbyAJR

I've changed my resolution to match the game (both stretched it and centered it), recalibrated the pen and still no game. The thing is, recalibration seems unnecessary because even though I change resolutions the pen is spot on - but I've recalibrated nontheless.

Has anyone got either of these games to work with the pen? They are kinda obscure games so I wouldn't be suprised if noone plays these anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

civilization has messed up pen for me.

8. Frank

Ok, what is wrong with the game and pen?
    All I noticed on games that don't support my native widescreen resolution and I don't want to stretch them from 4:3 to 16:10 is, that I have to move the pen to the edge of the display to move the cursor in the game to it's edge, even if the edge of the game is not at the edge of the display (because of 4:3)

If you try this recalibration changing resolution thing, then you have to notice a few thing.
    How do you want to play the game?
    • If this is an old game, which only supports 640x480 (4:3) and you want to stretch it to 1280x800 (16:10) then you don't have to do anything. If you want to stretch it but keep the aspect ratio, then you have to calibrate your pen in windows while you set the resolution to 1024x768, stretched with keeping aspect ratio (that means, it uses the whole height of the screen, but not the whole width)
    • If you want to play a game with the pen which just doesn't support widescreen and you want to play the game centered @ 1024x786, then you have to calibrate your pen in windows while you set the resolution to 1024x768, centered.
    • If you want to play an old game at it's native resolution, maybe 800x600 not stretched, then you have to calibrate your pen in windows while you set the resolution to 800x600 centered.
    If the pen is a few mm off in the game, then play a bit with the calibration until it fits.

With this trick I'm able now to play all the games I want (Starcraft, C&C) with the pen fine.

But if you enabled the widescreen mode for DK2 the whole "trick" is senseless, because then everything should work fine with the standard calibration.

But maybe you have a problem I just don't have and just don't know ;)

9. Frank

Ok I tried the Dungeon Keeper 2 Demo. I wasn't able to play (only multiplayer was enabled) but that doesn't matter. I already saw the problem with the pen (maybe the same you have) in the menu.
    The same problem I have with every first-person shooter. If I move the pen a few mm the cursors moves a few meters ^^
    This is a tablet problem for which I don't have a solution.
    They don't take the absolute cursor position (like starcraft, C&C, ...) they only take, maybe, the difference, the movement, and that doesn't work with a tablet.

10. TabbyAJR

Bummer. Thanks for your help though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.