Old convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mooni_nooni, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni Pen Pal - Newbie

What options are there for old convertibles with stylus tech?
    My parents are forcing me into a $400-$500 budget and I can't find any strong models at a low price.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The first generation Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga (12-inch) was really good (Wacom EMR). I also liked the Sony Flip 15A and Acer Aspire R7-572 (N-Trig). And in Wacom Active ES tech, there was the Dell 7568 which was the cheapest of the bunch new and the Thinkpad Yoga 14.

Mooni_nooni and WillAdams like this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

What are you using it for? The Surface 3 would be in your price point...

4. Mooni_nooni

I never had the chance to have my own personal computer that was strong enough to do anything.
    I want obviously draw on it, I surely use PS but I never need more than 10 layers or even 5.
    I also use paintstorm a lot too
    And do some gaming on it, not any AAA games tho just something like guilty gear xrd on low fps . I'd not have hard standards I just want to play .
    My parents went crazy cuz I wanted to buy a lenovo flex 5 for 650$

5. surfaceproartist

Stay away from Atom processors for Photoshop (or much anything else)! To get the most from Paintstorm, discrete graphics help a lot.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How big a screen do you need?

If you can get by with 12" at 1280 x 800, then the HP Elitebook 2760p is a fantastic little machine, super-cute with Wacom EMR and more than enough horsepower to handle big Photoshop documents.

And these days you can get them for around $200

There's always lots of them on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBoo...464187?hash=item1ec6b056bb:g:2YwAAOSwUKxYdms0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBoo...644154?hash=item1a2ddd8dba:g:HpQAAOSw1BlZPIco

They're obviously not modern and super thin, the battery life isn't anything great, -and the finger touch interface basically isn't there, but you can draw on them better than many of today's devices, and in many of the places where it counts, they're punchy, reliable little computers. I think they hold up really well today.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  7. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Mooni_nooni likes this.
  8. Mooni_nooni

Pretty ugly cute thing actually XD
    That's not bad actually idk what my mum would think of it if she sees it. But for that price and 12 inch is good as a last resort in my mind
    Thank you so Much tho the store next to my house has a Asus ee slate bpbp refurbished, wouldn't that be a better choice or not?

9. Mooni_nooni

Aahhhhhhhh I need to keep that in mind if I use paintstorm ,this makes things harder

10. surfaceproartist

If you're not too technically savvy, I also advise you to buy as new a device as you can afford. For starters, hard drives on old machines are bound to wear out and need replacement. It will also be difficult to find driver and software support for Windows 8 and older machines.

DRTigerlilly and Mooni_nooni like this.