Official Toshiba statement on replacement TruPen tips

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by WillAdams, Sep 6, 2015.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R31JQEX29ZLS2Y

Toshiba does offer replacement tips for this unit. They come in a pack of four with a part number of PA1588U-1ETC and are only available at toshibadirect.com.

The tips are temporarily out of stock with new inventory expected within a week. Unfortunately, as it was explained to me, the website does not display accessories that are not currently in stock, which would explain why you couldn't find it on the website.

This has since been corrected on the Toshiba Forums: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Encore-Tablets/Replacement-alternate-tips-for-TruePen/m-p/664244#M10328

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. Lightfoot

Lightfoot Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like a number of people on Amazon are skeptical of Toshiba considering the pen tips have never been shown on the website, 9 days since someone from Toshiba posted on the Encore 2 Write page on Amazon, and really ever since the tablet was sold back in January as far as anyone knows.

Also considering they've shown newer tablet with newer Intel chips, but none had a pen, it makes me wonder if they're really all that invested in these pen tablets.

To anyone who owns one, how quickly do the nibs wear out? Are you worried about not being able to get new nibs? Anyone else have the problem of no new nibs in the months it's been out? I've been considering one of these, but this problem makes me worry. Although it doesn't seem to be as hot a topic as I'd think aside from a few like Will here (at least that I've noticed).

If you want a 10" Windows tablet, almost the next closest in price is the Surface 3, isn't it? And it's about $150 more (with a pen).

3. Lana

Lana Pen Pal - Newbie

Out of stock accessories are shown on the Toshiba page. The Trupen is out of stock, but you can get to the page by searching its parts number: PA1585U-1EUC. Here’s the link to what you see if you search it on their website: http://www.toshiba.com/us/searchresults?Ntt=PA1585U-1EUC

Notably, you can not do the same with the Trupen's replacement tips' number provided by the manufacturer’s comment that Will pasted here. This increased my scepticism.

As a result I contacted customer support today. According to the CSR, Toshiba’s position is that if your pen tip wears down, you must buy a whole new replacement pen for $50+s&h. I have attached the conversation I had with that representative. I would not recommend buying this device and not from Toshiba as a company. The pen tips wear out quickly with daily use.
    Toshiba convo.png Toshiba convo 2.png

4. Lana

Lana Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, I just talked with another rep after seeing another review claiming that Toshiba is discontinuing the Write series. This is true. The Write line of Toshiba Encore tablets is officially discontinued, and Toshiba will not be selling another pen enabled tablet. If you are considering buying this tablet still, do not hold your breath for any support from Toshiba whether it is pen tip replacement or driver updates so that the device is more fully compatible with W10.

5. WillAdams

As I noted elsewhere, they did include a replacement tip w/ the machine.

Presumably the pens will be compatible w/ other Wacom AES pens.

6. WillAdams

7. Lana

Lana Pen Pal - Newbie

And as I stated elsewhere there are only 2 other Wacom AES pens currently on the market and neither are compatible with the Encore. I have worn down both of my tips, and other consumers will as well in time. This is a problem if Toshiba does not restock these pen tips.

That does look like the TruPen for sure, and it's my hope that Toshiba will not discontinue the Trupen and thus extinguish all hope for replacement tips, but I am only relaying what a Toshiba Customer Service Rep told me. The rep specifically said that Toshiba will not be selling tablets with pen features, but maybe she's mistaken.I can provide the transcript of this conversation if you wish?

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I found that wooden toothpicks cut to size made for suitable nib replacements on Wacom EMR pens. Match sticks also allow you to carve a shape you like.

Not a true replacement by any means, but it'll keep your pen working long after it's out of support.

Also...

What the heck? The Toshiba Write looked fantastic. Why drop it? That's a shame. It just came out!

fishdavis likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Toshiba is involved in a billion dollar bookkeeping scandal, new management, new ideas.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow. I just did a bit of reading. What a weird way to get into trouble. Adopting Western corporate insanity, pushing for big profit, like yesterday. -And then lying on the books when it was not achievable.

I remember long ago when studying Japanese culture that one of the cool things done differently over there was that they were comfortable setting 20 year goals rather than 2 and 5 year goals. It was okay to grow slowly.

I guess that's no longer the case.

At least it's not the kind of disgusting corruption that we witnessed with Sony.