"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. mrjaiga

mrjaiga Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the tips precurve, i just got my brand new t904 today :) I too love the size, weight and cant believe the tablet/laptop hybrid isnt the standard build for laptops now i LOVE using the tablet in laptop mode.

i agree with dv8 about the keyboard, i lacks the click and some keys feel like they are not going in properly, especially the keyboard, but maybe im just use to a more older, stickier keyboard

I have a few questions:

I hate the stylus, its small and plasticy, i want to use my wacom stylus, is there anyway of doing this?

can you hook up an external gfx card?

any advice on a cover for the screen, it feels like im etching into the screen slightly when using the tablet and dont like the noise.

Can you calibrate the stylus? the edge accuracy is off by a few mm. Im not sure if it calibrated for my left hand style because i cant see the dot when holding in my left hand but its perfect when in my right

2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes the included stylus is too small for full time work IMO. I don't know what "Wacom" stylus you have. If its a Cintiq class it will not work - different tech. Any Wacom "penabled" stylus should work and there are lots of those available and people have different preferences. This one is pretty popular, is larger, is two button and has an eraser (though its still plasticy):
    http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-Digitizer-replacement-Stylus-T5000/dp/B00791UTH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426999474&sr=8-1&keywords=fujitsu stylus

External gfx: Not really. You can hook up 3rd party USB3.0 port replicators that have additional ports. There may be an external video card solution that I don't know about. Proceed with caution.

Screen protector: My favorite is from Photodon: http://www.photodon.com/p/3136-01.html
    My personal favorite finish is the MXH 25% matte. The texture is perfect for stylus and cuts down on the reflective quality of the screen
    But I keep my screen set to 1920 x 1080. If you want your screen at 2550 x 1440 the matte finish does cause a little bit of fidelity reduction.

You should be able to calibrate the screen through the control panel with the Wacom Pen widget or the Pen and Touch Widget.

3. mrjaiga

mrjaiga Pen Pal - Newbie

Cheers precurve, can you suggest any UK suppliers for screen cover, looks like photodon do not ship to uk

Is there a way to use my micro sim card for 4g access when on the move?

Also what do you guys use for additional storage, is it feasible to by a 128gb sd card and keep it in the card slot, or maybe a 256 USB 3.0 pen drive? Will there be a big performance difference between the 2?

4. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

Both a USB thumb drive or a SD-card will be significantly slower than the internal SSD so if your planing on writing my small files (random writes) they might feel sluggish.

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Underneath the battery there should be a little drawer that fits a mini-SIM (2FF). Most cellphone stores sell micro-to-mini-SIM (3FF-to-2FF) adapters for pennies, or you can get a new mini-SIM from your network provider.

USB 3.0 harddrives easily get 90MB/s sequential read/write speeds. I use a rugged 1TB external HDD. Pen drives and SD cards are usually slower, except very high-end products.

Try a Wacom Feel pen or a UP-911E-02DD.

USB 3.0 graphics cards are not practical. Most likely we'll begin seeing serious external graphics cards with the next USB standard.

Use soft nibs.

I calibrate the reticule/cursor by hitting the calibration targets 1mm right-of-center which lets me see the reticule when I write right-handed. You might want to calibrate it by hitting the calibration targets 1mm left-of-center.

The edge accuracy is terrible. The pen is unusable about 0.5 inch (15mm) from the edges.

6. Precurve

Screen cover: Check Amazon. Otherwise I don;t know
    Micro sim 4g - I don't know
    Additional storage:
    - microsd works fine for many things but as indicated by others it isn't as fast as SSD. Ive had a couple of occasions transferring large files where the microSD card got hot and stopped the transfer.
    - I solved my storage problem by self-installing a 1Tb Samsung EVO SSD. Various instructions can be found in this t904 thread. Opening the case is not for the faint of heart. The rest is pretty straight forward. I mirrored the stock SSD using the Samsung hardware. Booted right up with all my settings intact.

Regarding pens: ATIVQ gave you some good additions in addition to my previous recc. Be aware that while the Wacom Feel has a nice metal lux design it has only button and no eraser. I have one.

7. mrjaiga

mrjaiga Pen Pal - Newbie

Im not too bothered about speed, it will just be used to stored large psd files and most my music. Im trying to keep this machine trimmed down.

Ye i have external hdd i want something small and light i can just keep in the machine.

im trying to find a wacom feel pen second hand, does it actually have technology inside it that improves accuracy or is it just a nicer looking pens to hold?

I too have found the edge accuracy to be pretty bad

bigger ssd drives are out of my budget but thanks ill definitely think about the evo in the future, 1tb would be very nice.

About the performance of the t904 - im not sure if im expecting too much but i was really expecting this thing to be a bit snappier. Using chrome seems really laggy, pages take long to load, thing like facebook timeline take ages to load all the images and videos in my feed.

My desktop pc is an i5 2500K with 8gb ram and this is what im use to. Is the i7 t904 that bad in comparison??

8. Precurve

I've had my machine for about a year. I use Chrome and Facebook frequently. I consider my machine very snappy. I have many computers including a 2014 mac mini i5/16gb/1Tb spinning hard drive. I notice the mini is faster on 3D renders by 20%-30%, but otherwise the t904 is as fast or faster on many tasks because of the SSD. I keep the t904 plugged into a wired ethernet dock most of teh time. Is it possible you have a wireless issue?

9. mrjaiga

mrjaiga Pen Pal - Newbie

Its really strange, i dont know whats causing such a poor performance

here is a screencast of my facebook loading, its so slow - http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/coeZjgeML9

also video playback on facebook is really choppy

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Make sure the power scheme is "Balanced" or "High performance". If you choose "Power saver" or "Eco-settings" the processor is throttled to 800MHz.

Run the Sunspider benchmark. The results should be around 170ms. Results around 600ms means you're in power-saver mode.

CompTech, Precurve and mrjaiga like this.