"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

That looks like a really bad crack. Please keep us updated on how the repair proceeds.

My guess is that replacing the hinge is fairly complicated given the amount of cables that must be going through it. The HP repair procedure for issues like this was to replace the whole screen and hinge assembly.

2. Simon25

Simon25 Pen Pal - Newbie

There are also gaps at the left and right side.
    tmp_11620-20150120_140155_resized-2077018494.jpg
    tmp_11620-20150120_140117_resized453768646.jpg

3. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

So I've seen something similar on my machine, which takes a lot of hard use, but it hasn't changed functionally. The hinge still works great and the screen does not flicker. I can kind of snap it back together and it really just looks like a bit of cosmetic warping. Correct me if you think I'm wrong. But I've opened my t904 case several times and it seems to me that the metal hinge inside the case doesn't rely on all of these little body parts for structure. Certainly we've seen some occassions where owners have had flicker or some other functional problem. So all I'm saying to my fellow owners is unless you have a functional problem its probably not worth the risks and hassles of trying to get it repaired. I think of mine like a door ding.

4. Simon25

Simon25 Pen Pal - Newbie

The gaps on the right and left side aren't what I am concerned about. Its the hinge in the middle. (first picture) The whole display is mounted there. If this gap increases more (to both sides) the display will simply fall off while being linked with the cables.

5. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Yours looks more like a piece being separated. I've sent mine in so I can't send a photo but it's a vertical crack. It's not really visible unless you look closely. I really hope they fix it because I don't know how long it will hold. I will never buy Fujitsu again. I don't think this design was a good one for the hinge. HPs tabletpc hinges were solid and felt strong. Damn flimsy fujitsu screen. I think those who think that it's a good hinge will start crying when they eventually have the same problem as we are currently having.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm not sure how much has changed from T902 to T904 hinge...
    but I just did some rough math on a calculator for how many times I've spun my screen since buying mine, and it would fall somewhere between 5700-6000 times (and that's being moderately reserved in my numbers).

So far my hinge is sturdy and stiff as ever. The hinge mechanism is going to outlast every part on this computer, I'm quite convinced of that. This thing is built like a brick (weighs more than one too! haha).

My point is, there aren't a lot of posts complaining about hinges breaking on Fujitsu convertibles. I have seen a few occasionally, but they all seem like isolated defective parts, not a general usage issue that effects them all over time.

I would be disappointed if Fujitsu has been slowly dropping their build quality and trading off reliability for lighter, smaller parts... perhaps this is the case with the T904, but I hope not.

7. in4mer

Looking at the photos of the T902 and T904, the hinges are not the same. The T902's hinge I would say looks like about an inch or two in length, but the T904 almost spans across the entire screen.

From what I see, the T902 has abetter design and looks more sturdy. If you pushed down on the T904 when it's half way converted, you could see the hinge bend a little, but I can tell that the T902 is probably more sturdier than the T904.

T904
    http://gadget.md/sites/default/files/pimg/21584_4.jpg

T902
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XrH9lINefV4/UQIShvAiKmI/AAAAAAAAJKU/iUwl6qAk3rE/s1600/aaaaaaaaaaaa.png

stoneseeker likes this.
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Ah. yeah, they look quite different. Seeing the hinge bend is definitely not something you want to see on such an expensive machine.
    That's too bad, its a pretty important part to get right on a convertible.

9. Simon25

Simon25 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hm.. I got mine back today. They swapped the whole display for the damaged hinge. Luckily it was covered by guarantee. At first they were not sure... But seeing the gap in the middle of the new hinge, i have doubts how long it will survive...

10. in4mer

Hmm, if they replace the entire screen, then they will probably remove the screen protector I have which I paid over 60$ FOR!!!! I don't understand why they can't simply replace the hinge. I should get mines back in a few days. The only way for companies to make money is to build crappy products so people have to continue buying so looks like Fujitsu is heading that way.