"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Vigerus

Vigerus Pen Pal - Newbie

In Poland the cost of i7 and 256ssd is about ~2390$. For last months I tried to find possible best solution for me. Because I’m scientist I need a machine that can take some CAD software Simens NX, Autodesk, an MS Visual Studio large applications debugging. In a result I thought that maybe the Thinkpad Yoga or Sony fit/flip 13 will be best buy, until I found the t904 and this device just change everything in a blink of an eye. I think t904 is more reliable machine than other two… but… the cost… Obviously I already have selected the t904 because it has removable battery and easy possibility to replace hard drive. But I need one more thing to be sure it is worth to buy it now. May be I should wait for a little bit more for some BROADWELL CPU based convertible? I’m still working on good old FL90, I already replaced some prats in it, so there is no rush to buy on my side. Any advice?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  2. Gardenerbob

Gardenerbob Pen Pal - Newbie

Before the upgraded website, I remember this thread had over 80 pages.
    Or, was I dreaming?o_O

I would like to ask any US owners:
    Has anyone put in the Broadband module in their laptops?
    Does the US model have an antennae?

3. Charliemurfy

Charliemurfy Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone been able successfully create a backup image of their 904 and then successfully deploy that image? My work bought a few of these and am having zero luck. I was able to create an image with Symantec Ghost, but when I went to deploy it back, it hosed up the FAT and had reinstall the OS. The CD/USB boot program to make an image with DriveImage XML simply wont boot up all the way on my 904, but it will on my 902. Acronis True Image 2015 will bootup, make an image, act like it is deploying the image... but it wont actually deploy the image. It just goes through the motions.

Don't get me started on the BIOS tricks to actually get the thing to boot into anything but Windows.

Please tell me someone has actually gotten something to work.

4. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I used to used acronis but it is a piece of junk. When I went from windows 7 to windows 8, I had to purchase the upgrade which I refused.

Easeus ToDo backup works great for me. In fact, it is even free to use. I think it works great because you can set it so that if your computer isn't booting up, you can press F11 (I think) to boot into recovery mode. I think the fujitsu recovery mode is garbage. In fact somehow I messed it up and couldn't access it. Most factory installed backups restore the computer to factory but then you have to install all your apps and drivers. With EaseUs To do, you can install all your apps and updates, then create an image which you can restore in as little as 20 minutes.

The home edition allows, what's called Incremential/differential backup/schedule backup which means that you don't have to create a complete backup. What I do is after lets say 6 months I need to restore the image. Then I install any new updates or apps, then update the image so I don't have to do that bit again. This is available in the paid version.

I'm not sure what you mean by deploy, is that when you install on several machines with the same image? I remembered using that at a government building 10 years ago and there was a step where you had to change some code to ensure there were no issues.

If you want, I help you with the process but I think it's pretty straight forward. The one thing I noticed about easeus todo is that rather than restoring the HDD/SSD, you actually recover the system image. You'll know what I mean when you use it.

Cheers1

5. Charliemurfy

Charliemurfy Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had their 904's mouse pointer start jumping up down like it's on crack? We've had 2 that do it.

6. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

That happens for me in tablet mode unless I increase the "SmartSense" value to max under the touchpad settings.

Another workaround is to use the Fujitsu "Pointing Device Utility" which disables the touchpad when I tablet mode. However it requires the Fujitsu System Manager to be installed which I refuse to touch even with a stick...

7. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I've seen this may be a half dozen times in 5 months. For me it only happens after a fresh startup and I can tell at the log-on screen there's a problem. I just restart. I use my 904 in so many configs with so many peripherals that I just consider that a normal glitch in the stack of driver handshakes. So far I've never had it repeat after a restart.

8. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been meaning to post this for interested parties and my fellow t904 geeks for a while.

I previously posted a pic of office #1 with t904, dock, Cintiq, and Asus WQHD (2560 x 1440) monitor.

Below is a pic of office #2: t904, dock, Asus WQHD (2560 x 1440), and Dell WUXGA (1920 x 1200). I don't mean to brag about my office but this may be useful for those that seek the same use case I was: A do-it-all machine that can be a laptop, tablet, or desktop capable of driving a complex peripheral environment in multiple locations.

I have had a great experience with the t904 dock and its ability to drive multiple monitors. My 904 is undocked multiple times a day and always reconnects with monitors and loads of USB peripherals (printers, scanners, drives). I can have lots of apps open including 3D CAD and video and even with all the screens it keeps up. Occasionally (twice a month?) it will glitch when I start Photoshop and the Adobe GPU “sniffer” doesn’t like my video card. It’s not a hard crash it just chugs in Photoshop until I restart.

For my artist designer friends, please note that I have the t904 dock mounted to a home-made wood stand on the end of an Ergotron arm. I can use it as a 3rd display and push it up to monitor level, pull it down to sketch level as shown, or pull it into my lap. It’s quite useable in this config as a "mini-cintiq" (the crappy car sketch is just to have a non-proprietary sketch there) . The other two monitors are on a lower cost VESA swivel stand and can both be spun into landscape or vertical mode. Control + OPT + arrow key easily reorients any screen image and the 904 never chokes on the flip.

I *think* the i7 Surface 3 could probably do a similar setup with a dock and enough RAM and I think that could be an option. There are undocked occasions where I wish the 904 in tablet mode was smaller and lighter. But I will say that after 5 months with the t904 and some pretty hard use it has been a delightful machine.
    WrkOffc_2017_1K.jpg

stormi likes this.
  9. Exo-L

Exo-L Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there! I just received my t904 and I'm experiencing the annoying fan issue that people were talking about a few months ago. I know that the issue was supposedly solved with the BIOS1.08 update, however even in light usage, I'm experiencing the annoying fan issue. By light usage, I mean that I had Facebook and Onenote open. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue? It's really bugging me especially since I just got it and it's already like this.

Also, do you guys experience this when you run Photoshop? I expected the fan to go wild after running Photoshop for an extended period of time, but the fan actually went crazy just a minute after opening it.

Thanks for any help in advance!

10. hacky

hacky Pen Pal - Newbie

Which energy scheme do you use? I recommend to install the "Fujitsu Computer Eco Settings". But even at the maximum power scheme it shoud not behave like you described.

You also should make sure to have the latest BIOS update installed. When I use this, my machine is completely quite almost al the time.

Then you should check CPU activity in Taskmanager oder Resource Monitor. If there is continous activity (e.g. about 25%) it indicates that something is consuming a full CPU thread. May be a driver issue or a tool you installed.

ForzaqC likes this.