"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Compudoc

Compudoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice ATIVQ and Simon25. (I do images every few weeks and incremental backups nightly.) Putting it in perspective like that, I guess I can get the benefit of hibernation and by the time I need a new SSD, I'll probably be able to order an 8TB mSATA from Samsung to last me until I die!

2. CompTech

CompTech Pen Pal - Newbie

Precurve, after you open up your computer and before changing the fan, could you check and see if possibly a bent fan case is causing the problem? The theory would be that something pressed in on the back of the computer and bent the fan case a little bit. The only explanation for a grinding fan that I've ever seen was by SF6 in Post #176 in this thread (for T902).
    Thanks.

3. newmanm

newmanm Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, Do you think it is worth it to purchase a screen warranty? it's pretty expensive at over 300 bucks, but the regular warranty only covers factory defects. Do you think this includes pen usage? How resistant are these screens to scratches?

Thanks for your help everyone,
    Screen protectors didn't really do it for me...

4. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Sure. And I agree that's a possible culprit. Though it seems more likely to me that its a bad bearing. I would think if it was a bent case that the sound would be bad at all speeds and that I might even hear the fan stop at low speeds if it was impinged at all. It could also be debris. Though I protect my computer pretty well from compression and dirt and I have never dropped it. Although I do snap it in and out of a dock twice a day and the way the dock is designed and where the fan is placed its possible to pinch the fan with a couple of really sloppy dock snaps..

Its not likely I'll get to this before I travel this week. Fan hasn't arrived yet and I won't chance this sort of repair the night before I leave...probably.

Oddly the fan has really quieted down at low/med speed and only grinds now at the highest speed (does have a nearly inaudible loose sound at low speed). It doesn't sound like debris and I have blown air through the vents a few times. It seems to do better if the unit is flat. Most of the time I have it mounted vertically on an Ergotron arm. I've been wondering if all the 3D rendering I've been doing with the case upright and fan running high put some stress on the bearing.

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Depends on the coverage. Fujitsu rates the LCD as Class II, which means you can have a fair number of unresponsive subpixels not covered under warranty. If the warranty guarantees zero unresponsive subpixels, it's worth it.

Three months of use and still no scratches, but dust does get under the glass and stays there. Fortunately I have no visible under-glass dust particles yet.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Precurve

My replacement fan part arrived last night and I made the repair successfully with the help from this forum. I’m now on my business trip with a perfect machine once again. To Recap:

My t904 fan began grinding very loudly last week. Sounded like debris or a really bad bearing. Canned air and other simple remedies did not help. Even though it’s under warranty, and Fujitsu was responsive about arranging an expedited repair, I didn’t want to send the machine away to Memphis for service. Fujitsu does not currently sell this part directly to consumers.

Monkey13 posted a very helpful German parts list and with Google translate I was able to find the part number for a t904 fan. The part number is CA49600-0510 which is the same CPU FAN for Fujitsu Lifebook U772. (I make no warranties that this information will work in all cases, but it worked for me).

I found several sources for the fan in the US and express ordered from a vendor on Ebay that had the fan in stock. I wasn’t entirely sure it would work but it was worth the $26 to find out.

Using the case opening instructions from Deanwu I got the back off much more easily that when I did the SSD upgrade. I will again warn anyone that is not familiar with laptop repair and equipped with the minimal tools required that this is a risky laptop to learn repairs on. It’s got some *very* delicate bits and was clearly not intended to be user serviced. It would be easy to brick this machine with a small slip-up inside the case.

The fan itself is held in place by the two corner screws circled in purple in my photo below. Easy. Getting that little connector unplugged was the hardest part. The plastic tail has some small bumps on the top that snap into the receiver beneath where those small holes are in the top. There’s probably a special tool for compressing those but I don’t have it. I used some small flathead screwdrivers and mini-needle nose pliers to wiggle it out slowly. Snapping that receiver off the motherboard would be a bad thing.

As you can see from the photo where the fan has been lifted out of place, it sits in a little black plastic cradle. There is no thermal paste or adhesive.

My original fan had no evidence of damage, debris, or bent case. Once I had the old fan out, I blew canned air into it to see if I could detect any grinding or impingement. I could find no source for the problem.

The good news is that I got the whole thing put back together and it’s all working flawlessly.

For any non-owners reading this and worried about t904 fan noise I have to say, that since Fujitsu got the drivers tuned, this is among the quietest fanned laptops I’ve ever heard (except when its ray tracing a complex 3D rendering and even then its pretty quiet).

Thanks again for the community support.

P
    Fan-Set-1K.jpg
    FanHand800.jpg
    Fan_Removal1k.jpg
    FanBracket1k.jpg
    Connector800.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Unlogic, in4mer, Mesosphere and 4 others like this.
  7. Mikee79

Mikee79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi to all,

thanks for great, valuable thread for somebody, who is 95% decided to order T904. I need ultrabook for private use to pair to my corporate Dell. So, here my requests:

- light, durable, nice looking body - max 14"
    - at least 1920x1080p resolution / 256GB SSD / 4G internal modem
    - 60% time web / mail
    - 20% full hd movies
    - 20% Vegas Pro editing GoPro videos

First idea was Yoga Pro, Toshiba Z30, Thinkpad Yoga, Acer S7 and at the end U904. But I tnink I would appreciate reversable body, so I am here by T904. As I understood from very complex thread here, that fan noise issue was the main problem and now it is solved by new bios, correct? So I have 2 simple questions:

1. Is still good idea to order now T904?
    2. I don´t need to order just now, what about to wait for succesor of T904? I couldn´t find any rumours about it, but maybe new models will come September/October.

Thanks for help.

Mike

8. ctel3

ctel3 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a quick (possibly stupid) question. Does anyone have experience with a multi-external monitor setup? I want to connect two external monitors to the T904 using the docking port + the laptop HDMI out (or using the HDMI port + a USB3 to VGA/Displayport adapter if that's easier and bypassing using the docking port).

Using the HDMI port on the laptop works fine, however when I also connected the displayport monitor into thedisplayport output on the dock, the displayport monitor never displays an image. I have the laptop resolution set to full (1440) and the HDMI monitor set to 1080p landscape mode. Do I have to use displayport + DVI (meaning I can't use the HDMI output once the dock is connected)? One of the two external monitors is used by other people at work for other purposes, so I would have to disconnect the existing DVI connector each time, which is why I'm looking to avoid using it if possible. Both external monitors would need to be run at 1080p and the laptop screen could be 1080p or full 1440. From what I've read the i7 model and HD 4400 should support this?

I was going to try reducing the laptop screen to 1080p (?maybe it's a video memory bandwidth issue), but wanted to see if anyone has had success connecting two external monitors while keeping the primary screen on, using HDMI + the displayport output on the docking port. If all else fails, I'll just use the DVI + Displayport outputs, which I haven't tried yet but I assume will work.

If anyone has used the DVI + displayport on the docking port successfully, even that would be helpful to know since I won't have a chance to test it again until the next time I go to that office (which is infrequent enough that I don't always carry all of the cables in my bag). I don't want to buy a usb3 to displayport adapter, but that's another option to use the HDMI port + displayport to avoid having to use the DVI connection.

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Yup

The biggest European electronics trade show IFA opens this weekend, you could wait and see what crops up.

Yup:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    ctel3 likes this.
  10. Precurve

I haven't tried to run hdmi off the laptop port with additional monitors off the dock. It wouldn't surprise me if that's not a compatible config.

I have 2 offices with docks in both locations. I can run the internal display at full resolution + 2 external monitors using display port and DVi off the dock at the same time. So I don't think you're problem is video memory.

My config for reference:

t907/i7/8gb

Office/Dock #1
    T904: Closed LCD but optional to run it mirrored or as extended 3rd monitor at all resolutions.
    Monitor#1: ASUS 27” PB278Q via display port (2560x1440)
    Monitor#2: Wacom 21UX via DVI 1600x1200

Office/Dock #2
    T904: docked in tablet mode as main monitor. scaled to 1920x1080. Mounted on Lexotron arm and used as mini-Cintiq
    Monitor#2: ASUS 27” PB278Q via display port (2560x1440)
    Monitor#3: Dell 24” 2407WFP-HC via DVI 1920x1200 vert/portrait

Using this laptop as a desktop replacement is one of its main benefits to me. The Fujitsu docks do a great job enabling the transition from complex desktop to Ultrabook tablet.

ctel3 likes this.