"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Fair enough, sounds like your Fujitsu is louder than mine then. It makes no where near the amount of noise a desktop or workstation laptop makes. It pushes air around for sure, but there are no whining sounds, no clicking sounds, or spinning noises. Just a gentle pushing air sound as I work.

Have you used Realtemp to check your temps? Curious if your unit is running a little hot maybe, forcing the fan to work harder?

2. Simon25

Simon25 Pen Pal - Newbie

T904 i7-4600
    Realtemp says: 33°C in idle, throtteling starts at 58°C and maximum Temperature (while running Cinebench) was 68°C. The reference (my living room) has 21.8°C

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  3. demalion

demalion Pen Pal - Newbie

Aside from the many things I do like about it, what I like least is:

• The maximum volume of the built in speakers is low. While my experience isn't comprehensive, I don't recall a laptop with lower maximum volume.

I have tried setting the BIOS volume setting to "Maximum" (I think the default is something like "Medium"), but it is still the one thing I would rate "poor" about the laptop.

• Pen detection at the edge is a bit flaky (completely off at the "bottom" of the screen before calibration, I've managed to make usable). I also wish I could configure pen pressure detection at the OS level to improve it for apps that support it but don't offer customization options of their own.

• The screen rotation was prone to behaving badly for a while, but I haven't had the problem lately. I may have to chalk that up to reaching a good plateau with the driver installation I had to do for everything, as my most recent test worked exactly properly when moving the screen around and switching orientation, but it is also possible there is something that can screw it up that I might stumble upon again. I'll have to see.

• EDIT: Had thought the drivers would have dealt with this, but there is another annoyance: for a while after boot, while in tablet mode (screen face up covering keyboard and touchpad), the mouse cursor jitters around (it looks like the touchpad is registering input and sending out spurious mouse movements). This seems to go away after a minute or two though, and pen input overrides the mouse cursor so I can still point and click, but it seems to me it should be smart enough so that it never even happens.
      I'd expect this to be turned off immediately, but it doesn't, and I'll be experimenting with the Smartsense setting to see if this can be improved, and maybe to see if I can check whether there is a lid sensor that might be malfunctioning or something.

None of this stops me from being very pleased with the T904, however.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  4. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

My Lenovo Workstation makes exact same pushing air sound under very heavy load or it remains very very quite under normal usage.

Now my T902 is with Fujitsu so I can not check temperature. However, as you saw in T902 thread, Fujitsu Repair status says "Spare part order confirmed". So I hope that it confirms the click sound and cyclic fan noise problem exits otherwise they would send back my T902...

5. demalion

demalion Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, my attempt at a fan noise video, using an iphone 5 with stock video recording setting (ios 7):

[video=youtube_share;k7svhp4M014]http://youtu.be/k7svhp4M014[/video]

I still consider this machine quiet, overall, for my usage. The noise levels that go significantly beyond "louder quiet" can be heard across a room, but I personally would consider them a far cry from bothersome at that distance. From normal usage distance, however, I could easily see the GPU+CPU loading one as annoying if it never stopped or was what happened very often. As I state in the description, the noise levels can approach the higher volume briefly on some rare occasions for reasons not apparent to me, whether background tasks or heat buildup, but then again I haven't noticed it since I've stopped background downloading and started doing regular usage.

Again, I have an i5 4300U, not the i7 4600U.

Note: none of the noise in this video is as loud as that one noise I described as "loud" right after I first booted it up, and I'm not sure what it was. Perhaps it was some oddity of it just coming inside from the cold and not knowing how to react to handle the low temperature it might have been at, or some oddity of temperature with the battery starting to charge in the state in which it arrived, or something odd like that. EDIT: It also could have been the hybrid mechanical hard drive reacting to temperature or to having been recently "unparked" if HDDs still do that sort of thing, though I had already replaced it with an SSD a bit before I posted my picture with the cover off and my observations since have been without it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    stoneseeker, Precurve and ykvishal like this.
  6. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

@ demalion
    I am curious about fan sound for T904 in the tablet mode....
    Did you try to use T904 in the tablet mode for long time? Does fan suddenly ramps up and stays up for few seconds then suddenly stops? If yes then does it happen in a cylic manner and if not then is it like pushing air sound?

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

what kind of throttling? Below base frequency, or just kicking it out of turbo boost?

8. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I am successfully running this pen pressure utility on my Samsung Slate in windows 8.1. You might check it out:

Tablet Pressure Curve Tool 1.6.9.5
    Link: Tablet Pressure Curve Tool | Secret Laboratory
    The download will include a pdf with instructions

I don't load these kinds of utilities lightly on my machines. But after some personal tweaking using this tool I actually prefer the sketching feel on my SS7 to my 21" Cintiq (FWIW: I prefer my Tablet PC pen nibs to be softer black fiber ones vs the white plastic ones). The utility has separate channels for the ISD (tabletpc) drivers and the Wacom (Cintiq) drivers. I use Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, Illustrator and I ink in Powerpoint, One Note, and Journal. I have also tried this in scultping mode on Modo and it works there as well but my SS7 doesn't really have the horsepower to go deep on that. The single setting works across all programs.

I found the reference to this tool on TPCR at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sam...-series-7-slate-serious-photoshop-work-4.html

I can't guarantee that this will work on the 904. But I can tell you it will be one of the first hacks I will do when/if I get a 904. Along with a custom Art Dock ui.

This is what my current setting looks like in the tool. This setting means I have to press a bit extra to start a soft line (lower left point starts above baseline) that has helped me reduce unintentional strokes. The curve responds well to light pressure before easily getting to 100% opacity as I press down.

PS: Set your area calibration first with the stock tool. I think running the stock calibration utility will wipe out the curve settings.
    PSS: The utilty doesn't stay running in the background. When you save, it opens the command processor and writes the settings to a preferences file.

PenUtility.JPG

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    demalion likes this.
  9. Simon25

Simon25 Pen Pal - Newbie

kicking out of the turbo boost. It is only possible to have a boost around 22s and then the turbo is disabled until the CPU frequenzy has dropped below 2.3 Ghz. -> if the CPU has 100% load you have only 1x boost at the beginning because the cooling system can only stable cool the base frequenzy.

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. Simon25

Simon25 Pen Pal - Newbie

i made a ideo of the fan noise too: (T904, i7-4600, 256Gb SSD)

[video=youtube;_VuICk7usH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VuICk7usH0[/video]

The distance between Notebook and Camera (Galaxy Note 2) is about 10cm. With the beginning of the video a Cinebench R15 CPU benchmark is started. Because the handy has not very good microphones the sound of the notebook is in the video a lot more annoying then in real (more monotone).

stoneseeker and ykvishal like this.